Female Fall Fashion According to the Guys

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

As we enter October, a new feeling is present around campus. It’s the feeling of cozy sweaters, leaves changing, and hot chocolate: fall is here. Fall is the wonderful opportunity to show off those boots you bought in July and haven’t had an excuse to wear yet. We know what girls like in their fall wardrobes, but what about the guys? What do they think about the colder weather staples their girlfriends wear? I interviewed three Johns Hopkins undergrads to see their fall fashion opinions. Their comments range from typical (ex: leggings rock) to insightful (who knew guys were afraid of combat boots?). Check it out!

Chambray shirt
Steven: I don’t like it. If you feel like wearing washed out jeans on your top half, just wear overalls.
Jordan: You see it a lot in the city- has to go with tight pants though. Overall a good idea!
John: It’s not awful, but they seem a little manly and shapeless.

Flannel Shirts
Steven: They’re cool- definitely preferable to chambray shirts.
Jordan: As long as you wear it seasonally, like in the fall, they’re nice. But if you overdo it, flannel looks tacky.
John: As long as your hair looks girly or you’re wearing something else that’s feminine, it’s okay. But otherwise it could be a little too lumberjack-ish

Leggings
Steven: I love leggings. They’re the best things ever invented (but not for me to wear).
Jordan: Just make sure they accentuate the positive. They shouldn’t be emphasizing the negative.

John: Awesome.

Riding boots
Steven: They definitely look good, but do they stink when you take them off? Tell me the truth.
Jordan: I love them. I think it makes a girl look very mature and put together.
John: My girlfriend wears them, and I think they’re nice as long as she doesn’t kick me wearing them.

Combat Boots
Steven: They look super intimidating, but pretty cool. I wouldn’t want to get stepped on by a girl wearing them though.
Jordan: I think they’re good for events like concerts- every girl should have them.
John: Really intimidating. I’m afraid that I’ll get stomped on.

Chunky Knit Scarf
Steven: Not the circular, infinity kind, but scarves in general look nice and warm.
Jordan: It really depends on the girl’s personality. They work better for some than others.
John: It seems unsafe to that much fabric around your neck at once.

Detachable Collar
Steven: That’s terrible- it sounds really 90s.
Jordan: I think it can add some flair as long as it matches. Subtle accessories are definitely a plus.
John: I’m pretty sure I saw Emma Watson wearing this once, so that makes it okay.