This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.
Milton S. Eisenhower Library is one of the most iconic landmarks of Hopkins. It has often been the location of many cram sessions, paper writers, and study dates, and there are times (especially during midterms!) where students seem to spend more time there than anywhere else. 

However, beyond the use of the library as a space to hang out and prep for quizzes, there are also a lot of handy resources that you can use to save time and money when doing work! 

1. Avoid Buying or Renting Books by Checking Them Out
College textbooks aren’t cheap, and a thrifty student knows that there are plenty of resources that can bypass paying hundreds of dollars for required materials. What people often don’t consider, however, is the library. Beyond reserves, a lot of in-class texts are available simply as books you can check out of the library, for weeks at a time. While this may not be applicable to some science books, it’s an easy way to save money when taking humanities classes. 

2. Bring Reserved Texts to Class Instead of Printing

When texts are provided for you online, sometimes it doesn’t matter if you own a physical copy of the material. However, many teachers ask students to bring the text in, just to be able to reference in class. Printing at Hopkins is pretty cheap (especially with the double sided feature) but it can add up, and it can also be a bit of a hassle if you don’t have your own printer, especially if you’re doing so in the BLC on a day when IFP assignments are due. An easy way to avoid those issues is by simply checking the reserved book out right before class. It’s not something many people think to do, but it can save time and money! Word to the wise: most reserved texts have very specific time limits, so make sure to check before checking out.

3. Use Catalyst to Help with Research

When it comes to writing a big paper or outlining a project, it’s important to have a lot of resources. To help narrow the search or to explore different options, try using the library website’s Guide by Topic search. There, you can search for information specific to your needs from a huge array of subjects. 

4. Get Additional Help from Subject-Specific Librarians

If you have an idea but want research advice from an expert, look no further than the library faculty! Each subject area has a corresponding librarian, who can help you locate information relevant to your theme. You can schedule an appointment with one through the library website, or search through their online FAQ if you have a more general question.

5. Cite Your Sources

The bane of the existence of many a paper-writer, citing sources isn’t necessarily difficult but more so tedious, and after a long night of working it can seem quite stressful. Luckily, if your materials are part of the library’s massive database of books and articles, it’s easy to cite. All you have to do is search for the text, choose the appropriate link, and click on the “Cite This” button on the right side of the browser window. There, you can choose from MLA, APA, or Chicago, formatting, and hopefully save a little time and effort in the process. 

Bonus: BorrowDirect!

A new addition to the library’s arsenal is BorrowDirect, which links MSE with several other libraries, including the Ivies, UChicago, and MIT. This means that if you absolutely need to get your hands on a book that is unavailable here, it can be shipped to you from one of the aforementioned places in about 3-6 business days. While this program has been in place since last fall, a new update integrated into the other online services of the library, making it easier to search and find books even if they’re not physically on campus. Between the eleven libraries in the system, there are more than 50 million volumes, meaning your almost guaranteed to find exactly what you’re looking for. 

Photos Courtesy of WordPress,  Pinterest, and Blogspot