4 Smart Post-Workout Snacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

If you’re looking to get the most out of your exercise routine, it’s crucial that you refuel your body correctly post-workout. Not only is it necessary to replenish your muscles with the right kinds of foods, but the amount of time after you workout is also crucial to consider. The optimal window of time to eat a post-workout snack is 30-60 minutes after your workout finishes so your body can recover and buld muscle. By filling your body with protein and easily digestible carbohydrates right after you workout, you’ll see and feel the results of all that hard work in the gym much sooner. Here are four smart snack options:

1)    Protein Shake with Whey Protein – A protein shake post-workout is a great option because its liquid state makes it particularly fast at delivering protein and carbs to your muscles. Whey protein is considered one of the best sources of protein for workout recovery and is especially useful for those looking to tone or build muscle. Along with the whey protein, which comes in a wide range of flavors, you can add in all sorts of yummy mix-ins, from fruit and yogurt to peanut butter and milk, which enhance a protein shake with the carbs you need to replenish lost glycogen.

2)    Greek Yogurt and Fruit – Yogurt and fruit is a delicious post-workout snack that gives your body both a large amount of protein for muscle repair, as well as the carbs necessary to reenergize you after a strenuous workout.

3)    Turkey and Cheese Slices with a Piece of Fruit – If you’re in a rush and looking for a quick snack you can take on the go, a few slices of deli turkey wrapped around a slice of cheese is a convenient option that does the job. Pair these healthy sources of protein with a piece of fruit to get your muscles some carbohydrates and you can refuel anywhere, anytime.

4)    Low-Fat Chocolate Milk – Chocolate milk is considered one of the best ways to recover after a hard workout, and it is easily and quickly digested by the body. Chocolate milk contains the perfect amount of carbs to protein, effectively replenishing glycogen storages as well as providing the protein needed for muscle repair.  

Alyssa is currently a junior at Johns Hopkins University majoring in public health. She is also a pre-med student, who hopes to pursue a career in primary care. She has been interested in nutrition and fitness for over 6 years and hopes to be able to use her passion and knowledge in these areas to help others live the happiest and healthiest lives possible.