Career

Why ‘The Office’ is Better Than Your Real One

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Whether it be the excellent customer service in sales, friendly demeanor in reception, or the chaotic manager, NBC’s hit TV show ‘The Office’ still lives on today due to their hysterical characters and emotional storylines. Despite the show ending in 2013, it is still one of the most popular TV series on Netflix, to the point in which earlier this year NBC producers were considering making a reboot of the show with a new cast, much to the disappointment of die-hard ‘The Office’ fans with hopes of seeing their beloved characters played by none other than their original actor portrayals.

‘The Office’ takes place in Scranton, Pennsylvania, representing Dunder-Mifflin Paper Company managed by none other than regional manager Michael Scott and assistant to the regional manager, Dwight Schrute. A camera crew is filming a mockumentary of what a typical workday consists of for a television special. In a modern day American example of middle-class Americans maintaining sales associate jobs, the heart and soul of ‘The Office’ highlights romantic, financial, and moral struggles in a chaotic work environment.

Whether it be one of Michael’s unnecessary lunch parties thrown by Angela, Pam and Phyllis or group meetings where his ludicrous character personas take over the session to the point of no work getting done, his employees tolerate him anyway. It is clear to the staff that nonsense will always be welcome at Dunder Mifflin.

Between the incredible love story between Jim and Pam, friendship and brotherly bond between Jim and Dwight, or the ‘best man’ reveal at Dwight’s wedding with the return of Michael Scott, it is no secret that what keeps people running and motivated is close friendship and even family bonds. Overall, ‘The Office’ is far more than just another comedy, for the character development, love interests, and family bond between all of the cast is sure to lure in any audience member’s heart.

"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me." C.S. Lewis