This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

As an avid reader, I use an assortment of reading platforms to read the books I love. An important part of reading is finding the platforms that you like and that fit your preferences when e-reading. Each reading platform has its own advantages and disadvantages that make it easier or harder for a reader to use. Below I have compiled a list of reading platforms that I use on a regular basis and have explained their pros and cons based on my personal preferences.

1. Wattpad – Wattpad is an online reading platform that is free for users to publish their own original stories as well as read other users’ stories. Wattpad is the way I started reading because it was free and easy for me to download and use. The pros of Wattpad are that it is free, you are able to find new original authors, and a lot of books from Wattpad are published so you can be one of those authors or see one of your favorite authors get published. The cons of Wattpad are that there are ads between chapters, many authors are writing their books so you get new chapters as they post them, and there is a premium version where you get access to paid stories that have been published or won awards. I think that Wattpad is perfect for teens and older because the app is free to use and many books follow that age bracket, making books more enjoyable to read.
  2. Libby – Libby is an app where you can borrow ebooks, audiobooks, and magazines from your local library for free. Libby is a worthwhile app to use because the books are free since you only need your local library card to make an account and check books out, there are many different types of books to read, and there are no in-app purchases or late fees. Some disadvantages of the app are that only 5 books can be borrowed at a time, only 5 books can be put on hold so that you can borrow them as they become available, and the book selection is limited as libraries buy books as they get funding. Libby is like a virtual library so it is a great app for children and teens because it allows them to borrow books for free and is a great app for adults who are not sure what books they like so they can explore different genres in an affordable way.
  3. Apple Books – Apple Books is an e-book reading app on all IOS devices where readers can purchase books by authors that they enjoy as well as download from their selection of free books. The benefits of Apple Books are that you can purchase both ebooks and audiobooks, you have the ability to download free books, and this app is compatible with all Apple devices, and it saves books to the cloud so you can read them on any of your devices. The drawback to Apple Books is that most of the popular books have to be purchased which can be pricey and this app is only on Apple devices. I think Apple Books is a better choice for adults who are infrequent readers and are able to pay for books they want as they read them.
  4. Kindle – Kindle is an e-book reading app where readers can read from any device through books purchased on Amazon that download to the app. The advantages of Kindle are that it works with all devices – iPhone, iPad, tablet, Computer, and Mac, you have access to all of the latest and most popular books, books are usually cheaper here, and there are more promotions and discounts by Amazon as well as authors have more control over pricing deals. The disadvantages of Kindle are that you have to pay for the Kindle Unlimited subscription which provides access to most of the e-books, and if you are trying to support independent /alternative booksellers then Kindle is not the best option because it is tied to Amazon.

As a side note: The reading platforms mentioned above were chosen based on my personal preferences. These are some of the reading platforms present today so please evaluate each reading platform based on your preferences and explore the various other reading platforms to find the perfect place for you to read. I hope these suggestions are helpful in deciding which reading platform you favor when reading e-books.

These platforms are listed to make your journey with reading e-books more enjoyable and conducive to your life. Every platform has its own benefits and consequences that must be evaluated based on each person’s personal taste. As we enter the cozy season, readers read more so I hope that any one of these reading platforms will make the reading experience better for you and allow you to find new books to appreciate and add to your favorites list. I think these reading platforms are all worth a try so you should take the time to look and evaluate which reading platform is perfect for you.

Vrunda Raj

Jefferson '27

A writer who hopes to inspire and inform people with her words and thoughts. I enjoy writing about food, current world events, research topics and a multitude of other subjects.