This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

The other night I was working hard on an assignment for my Health and U.S. Diversity class, when as soon as I clicked the submit button for it, the WiFi connection was lost and every single word that I typed up (around 500 of them!) was erased from my computer. At first, I just stared blankly into the white screen on my computer, then I began to cry because I kept thinking to myself, “How will I ever replicate the 500 words I just thought of in 30 minutes?” I sent an email to my professor and called my mom crying when she gave me the advice of “some days you will move mountains, and other days the mountains move you.” I ended up re-doing the entire assignment and I actually think it came out better than the first time I did it. The next morning, I couldn’t help but think of my reaction to losing an internet connection for just 10 seconds.

The world of education has become so consumed in technology because of how efficient and easy it is to do homework, assignments, and quizzes/exams on a computer that automatically grades things for you rather than having to print out hundreds of pages of paper for a class to complete them. However, when the technology and internet fails (like it did for me), it feels as though it throws absolutely everything off. The connection I lost that night only lasted for about 10 seconds, yet in that short amount of time, 30 minutes of my work was completely vanished from the Earth, which is a crazy thought. Even though those 10 seconds were extremely upsetting and aggravating, I am kind of thankful for them now because I was able to go back and redo my work. It ended up being more clear and concise and I feel more confident with this submission than the last. So thank you (I guess) for the WIFI interruption that night!

My name is Haley Rymarkiewicz and I am currently a Pre-Med Student at Thomas Jefferson University. In my free time, I love reading, dancing, painting, and listening to music. One fun fact about me is that I am the oldest of five siblings!