This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

It’s that time of year unfortunately and every college student in the United States is dreading it. It’s finals time. We’re all stressed, hoping and praying our studying and effort out into our works and projects can pull through and land us with a passing grade. If you’re anything like me, you’re especially nervous for your professor to finish grading assignments you’ve been turning in for weeks- anxious to see the grade you’ll end up with regardless due to it being too late to adjust or change anything. 

With so much going on I think it’s important to highlight that your grade does not define you. Life will still go on, you’ll, hopefully, still pass. And even if you don’t pass, that’s fine and that’s life! You’re moving at your own pace, even though it has become such a cliché thing to say, it’s so true. Don’t worry about your peers and their work, focus on yourself and what you need to accomplish to feel success within. Also, please take care of yourself. I find myself a victim to my own antics, and not taking care of myself or eating proper meals has become something I’ve had to fight and overcome and grow from for the past 3 years. Like I said, take care of yourself no matter what. 

Something I’ve grown to appreciate are breaks. Breaks are literal life savers, especially when it comes to taking care of myself and making sure I’m not drowning in the finals prep. For me personally, as a fashion design major I’ve had huge projects that aren’t necessarily difficult or memorizing information, but they’re extremely time consuming and quality is everything for the final product. Breaks have kept me from becoming overly frustrated at a seam or ripping apart the entire project, so I highly encourage them for everyone else! A fresh set of eyes and a relaxed mind is the only way for you to truly do your best. 

Lastly, studying and work in a way of your choice. I do find working in a group environment, but solo has helped me tremendously. I won’t be distracted and I’m able to focus on my own work, work at my own pace, and stop to go over whatever I need to however many times. But working around other people can keep you focused and help you not feel so isolated or discouraged. You’re not wondering who’s doing what because you all are together. An added bonus is that if you do get stuck on anything, you have a support system right there that can help you and you guys can work together. Also, you have people who you can take your breaks with, grab food, and take a mental break from all the heavy studying and work you’re doing. Although, I’m sort of forced to do this with fashion and sewing, my finals process still operates as this, and I find it way more helpful and calming than working on my own. 

I hope you all can find something of use from what I said! Like I said, your grade does not define you. You are smart, important, amazing, and talented no matter what. Manifesting and praying that finals go well for you all! And have an amazing and relaxing break afterwards, you deserve it! 

Diamond Porter

Jefferson '25

I’m Diamond, a fashion design major at Thomas Jefferson University set to graduate in 2025. I sew, paint, draw, and design and I’m interested in owning my own business and clothing line or becoming a professional stylist!