Scary light up clown halloween display
Scary light up clown halloween display
Original photo by Gabriela Aguilera
Life > Experiences

Reviewing the Best Fright-Filled Attractions in PA!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

If you are a thrill-seeker like me, you know that Halloween is one of the best times to satisfy this risk-taking need! During spooky season in Pennsylvania, there are many fright-filled attractions to choose from, so here are my reviews of some of the more infamous attractions around. I will go from the less scary and least adrenaline-filled to the pee-your-pants scary attractions.

The first attraction is The Valley of Fear! The Valley of Fear has three attractions which include a hayride through terrifying woods, which includes a ghostly graveyard. The second attraction is a shipwreck cove which is a new event for 2021. The third attraction offered is a classic spooky haunted house. The overall feeling at The Valley of Fear is that it is a family-oriented place and not that scary. Subsequently, on a fear-instilling scale, I would give the Valley of Fear a four out of ten.

The next attraction is Bates Motel. Bates Motel includes three attractions: the haunted motel, a haunted scarecrow trail, and formerly their hayride but now their psycho path. The attractions are moderately scary; this would be a really good attraction for someone’s first time at a haunted house. Spooky events aside, Bates Motel has the best apple cider donuts and hot chocolate; I would say it is worth it to go there just for their autumn snacks! Overall, six out of ten on the spooky meter!

Another infamous attraction around PA is the Night of Terror at Creamy Acres. They have a multitude of attractions featured, including a playground where clowns chase you around, harvest where you explore a spooky farmland, and the hallways of dark dreams filled with a multitude of phobias that will have your skin crawling. Creamy Acres tickets are cheaper than most of the other attractions mentioned, so that is also a major plus to this spooky adventure! On a scary factor meter, Creamy Acres is pretty similar to Bates Motel at a six out of ten.

One of the most notorious Halloween-themed attractions in Philly is the Eastern State Penitentiary. The Penitentiary offers fewer attractions, but the events themselves are unanimously scarier than the ones mentioned prior. The tickets are on the pricier side, so that is definitely something to be aware of. They have amazing actors, and the ambiance and location are something that inspires fear just in itself. On a fear-inspiring scale, the Penitentiary would get an eight out of ten!

Saving the best for last, the Pennhurst Haunted Asylum! The attractions are as scary as they can get coming in at a ten out of ten on the scale! The two main attractions are a walk through the asylum where mental patients chase you around and scare you to your wit’s end. Then there is also the Mayflower Hotel that is said to be one of the most haunted places in America. In addition, you are able to do an overnight investigation in the hotel where you search for paranormal activity!

Overall, any and all of these attractions are worthwhile and will give you chills for days!

Abigail Slawek

Jefferson '25

Abigail Slawek is a psychology and trauma counseling major at Thomas Jefferson University. She is obsessed with astrology, tarot cards, crystals, and all things witchy! Things she is passionate about are mental health, wellness, and self-love!