Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Questions to Ask Your SO Before You Start Dating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.
“What are you looking for?”

Casual sex? A long-term relationship? Friends with benefits? Marriage It’s important to know what they are looking for from the start so you know whether to give them a chance or find someone new. Having feelings for someone who is not emotionally available sucks. The best way to avoid that is to just ask what they want. If it’s not what you are looking for, then find someone who does! 

“How did your last relationship end?”

This could just be me being nosy…but’s interesting to know. I always want to know why other people’s relationships end. It could be helpful for you to know for the future. This could also raise a red flag if it seems that they were the toxic one in their past relationship. Trust your intuition because it’s always right.

“Are you seeing anyone else right now?”

I would rather know from the beginning then find out later. If you prefer monogamy, make sure to let them know.

“When was the last time you were tested?”

If you’re going to be having sex, make sure you have both been tested. Don’t feel weird about it! Be safe!

“What do you like to do for fun?”

Try to find something you have in common so you can do it together. It’s hard to hang out with someone who you share nothing in common with.

Lily Quinn

Jefferson '22

Lover of Harry Styles, Brooklyn 99, yoga, tik tok, and feminism.