samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Pros and Cons of Working in a Department Store as Told by Parks and Rec

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Pro: Employee discount

Con: Most of your paycheck goes right back to the store

It`s always exciting to be the first one to see the new products that have arrived, but it can also be harmful to your bank account. Since it is a department store, there is bound to be something that catches your eye.  

Pro: Creating new friendships with your co-workers

Con: Dealing with lazy co-workers

I have made many friendships with my co-workers that I believe will last long after my time as a sales associate. However, there is always that one person who hides in the fitting room and plays on their phone for their entire shift leaving you with all of their responsibilities. Usually these people don`t last very long.

Pro: Flexible working hours

Con: The pay is not great

Usually people who work in a department store, aside from managers,  are part-time. They have to balance being a sales associate with either another job, school, etc. Managers are normally very understanding and will accommodate to your schedule when given enough notice. The only downfall to this is the pay. Minimum wage is the starting pay for a part-time employee and raises are very rare.

Pro: It doesn`t take long to learn about your department

Con: There is so much more you need to know

It can only take a few shifts to recognize where things go in your department so you can help customers find what they are looking for, but the location of items is not the only thing you will be expected to know. Most department stores have a credit card, a rewards card, a ton of sales going on, coupons out, etc. Pushing the rewards card and credit card is something managers will tell you to do until they`re blue in the face. There is often a script you have to recite to each customer listing the benefits of both. This will most likely annoy the customer rather than make them sign up for anything. 

Pro: Customers

Con: Customers

The customers are the reason why you have this job to begin with, but sometimes they can be a little difficult, to say the least.  Most customers are very polite, come in to get what they came for and leave. Others will destroy everything in their path (fitting rooms, tables, bathrooms, etc.) while letting their kids run wild. When you do not have an item they are looking for, they will treat you as if you just killed their beloved family pet. People like this will make you question why you wanted this job in the first place. The best way to handle a customer like this is to just laugh it off. 

Carly Brisach is a 2nd year Fashion Design major at PhilaU. She is also an animal lover, fashion blogger and self-proclaimed SNL enthusiast. Aside from writing for Her Campus, she enjoys knitting, crocheting and weaving. Check out her Etsy shop Handmade96!