Profile – Zanae Rorer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Zanae is a woman of many titles. She works for the Office of Student Engagement for Diversity and Social Justice, she’s the Cultural Experience Chair of the Campus Activities Board, she’s a Rambassador, a Resident Assistant in Ronson Hall, and Captain of the Step Team. One other title that she holds, which I’m happiest about, is my friend. Zanae inspires me daily to make the most of every opportunity and to see every day as a gift.

In both her roles at the Office of Student Engagement and Campus Activities Board it’s important to Zanae to make it easier for students get involved. These opportunities are not only on campus but also off, with the Exploring Philadelphia micro-trips that she plans. These easily-accessible events help students to find things they are interested in, without having to search for it. They get to meet others with mutual interests and break out of their shell.

“Living a life geared towards social justice means identifying needs and being able to meet them so that everyone is on an equal playing field” she says. Zanae explains that the way that social justice plays a role in her everyday job is through making spaces where people feel comfortable in all aspects of their identity. It’s about ensuring that these spaces are inclusive of all people, even if the event is not geared towards justice for a marginalized group.

One thing that Zanae is still teaching herself is the power of saying no. She has a reminder over her door that reads, “You can’t pour from an empty cup.” She plans each day to give herself intentional time to relax throughout the week, whether it’s laying in her hammock or listening to music. As important as her tasks are, they’re not as important as making sure she is okay. This is great insight from her as Psychology and Community Trauma Counseling Major.

For people who are interested in being a part of clubs and organizations but are a little intimidated by them, Zanae has the advice to “just show up.” What she’s learned is that no one really cares how old you are, how new you are, or how experienced you are. People are encouraging and welcoming and it’s all about going to that first meeting and introducing yourself to the people who will help you feel more comfortable.

The OSE for Diversity and Social Justice is holding a poster making event for the March to End Rape Culture on Sept. 28 in Ravenhub at 7 pm, as well as a free trip to the March on Sept. 30, for which bus tokens will be provided!

Anna McFadden

Jefferson '19

.