An Ode to Brownie Batter Donuts and a Review of How to Be Single

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

I’m going to get real with everyone reading this for a second: the best part of Valentine’s Day isn’t flowers, or chocolate, or a little baby that’s allowed to wield a bow and arrow. It’s donuts. Dunkin Donuts Brownie Batter Donuts, shaped like hearts and covered in chocolate frosting and cute little heart sprinkles. February presents nothing more beautiful and heartwarming than the return of this precious donut, piped full of filling that tastes exactly like licking the spoon you used to make actual brownies. This year I had two before Valentine’s Day even came. My love for them is so enduring, that I knew the exact date they would be back (February 1st, by the way.) I told my mother this and she was not only impressed by my knowledge, but probably slightly concerned.

So, when Valentine’s Day 2016 was rolling around and my boyfriend continued to be three hours away, there was only one thing I wanted to do: eat my weight in brownie batter donuts.  Off my friends and I trekked, walking to Dunkin Donuts in below freezing weather just to satisfy my ever-present hunger for donuts. There they were, sitting behind the counter in all their beauty. I traded my money for two donuts, stuffed them in my purse, and we went off to the movie theater.

We went to see How to Be Single, along with almost everyone else in line, and it was a movie worth seeing. It was advertised as a comedy and didn’t disappoint. I laughed a lot while watching the trials and triumphs of a handful of single girls, who were just figuring out what they want in life. There was even a surprising moment where I found myself with tears running down my cheeks. Whether you go with your girls or bring your significant other along, they are all sure to enjoy it.

And that, dear readers, was Valentine’s Day 2016 for this Her Campus writer. It was one full of sugar, lots of laughter, and very cold temperatures. It just goes to show that Valentine’s Day is what you make of it, whether you’re spending it with the one who has your heart or with a group of girls you’re lucky enough to call friends.  

Kellyn Kemmerer

Jefferson '19

Senior Textile Materials Technology student from a small town in Northeastern Pennsylvania. You can find her watching Food Network or funny cat videos, making lengthy Spotify playlists, window shopping, writing, and reading.