Career > Her20s

Nonna Knows – Tribute to Women’s History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

As we finish off Women’s History Month I thought about the history of the women in my family. I want to share the wise advice my Nonna has given me as a woman. My Nonna, who is my grandmother on my mom’s side, is the matriarch of her side of the family. The youngest of three and the only girl in her immediate family, she is adored by all her nieces and nephews. Nonna is currently 89 and is definitely my role model for what I want to look like when I’m that age. When she walks into the room everyone is blessed with her bubbly personality and fashionable style. To paint a picture for you, she never goes without her Chanel sunglasses, always has a silk scarf in her hair, and started my love of handbags from her extensive collection from Louis Vuitton to Dior. With her sensational style, she taught me the most important thing one can do is to take care of yourself. “You take the best care of You.” 

The 5 best ways to take care of You! 

• Making sure you are having a balanced meal.  Most days, I find myself running around and skipping breakfast or lunch. What you put in your body is what you will get out of it. Have fruit once or twice a week instead of dessert. My Nonna grew up having fruit as dessert. Don’t worry; sweets are also important.
  • Scheduling and attending health appointments. Make those appointments! Even if they are far out in advance and you have to change them, at least they are there to remind you. After COVID, many things have been put on the back burner, and doctors’ appointments now need to be done. 
  • Taking care of your face! Your face is here to last a lifetime; take care of it. I learned that using sunscreen everyday can help protect my face. I have been using this Hawaiian Tropic’s Sunscreen Serum and LOVE IT. (https://www.hawaiiantropic.com/products/hawaiian-tropic-sheer-touch-sunscreen-face-serum-spf-30) When washing your face, Nonna’s tip is to always wash up with your hands, never down. This is because pushing down on your face every day can cause wrinkles and sagging. 
  • Give yourself time to relax.  “There is an art to doing nothing” – Nonna. If you have ever tried of doing nothing, like I mean absolutely nothing, I give you credit. I can never do it but I try. I love sitting outside in the sun or cuddling up in all my blankets. 
  • Treat yourself!  My favorite activity with Nonna is when we go shopping. We’ll walk around the mall, go to my favorite stores, then go out for lunch. Treating yourself can be little things, from getting yourself a candy bar while in the grocery store check out line or getting your hair blown out. 
I'm currently a senior at Thomas Jefferson University in East Falls Pennsylvania majoring in Fashion Design with a Textile Minor. I have a love for fashion and currently have designs and prints coming out in Spring/Summer'24 with a small golf apparel brand Belyn Key. I have been a bridal consultant for six years and counting. I am a sister of Theta Phi Alph and have been the chair holder of philanthropy, fundraising and special events. Some of my hobbies include cooking, traveling and crafting. I love baseball as I've been to 24 out of 30 stadiums; my home team being the Phillies. My articles are about my love for fashion and travel tips and tricks!