Career > Her20s

My New Year’s Resolution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

We have all once made a pact with ourselves that we would change an aspect of our lives that would hopefully benefit us in the future. These changes could be spending less money, self-care, cooking more meals, cleanliness, healthier sleep schedule, and so many more. Resolutions help people to focus on themselves more in the new year. However, these resolutions can be very hard to stick to. People often find themselves starting out the year strong and then dwindle down in the weeks that follow. I am one of those people. I go into the year feeling motivated to create a change in my life but then soon after I find myself falling back on old habits. This year I am determined to have a resolution and stick with it for the whole year and hopefully the future. 

My resolution for this year is to create a routine for myself especially in the mornings. Previously, I’ve never really had a schedule. I would wake up at odd times and go to sleep at even odder times. Sure, I was getting a lot of sleep due to sleeping in, but it never made me feel good or ready to take on my day. I decided to change that. Lately, I’ve been trying to go to sleep around 11 pm and wake up at 6 am. Then, at 7 am, I would go to the gym with my friend for an hour. After that, I walk back to my apartment and get ready for school. 

It has almost been a month into the new year and so far I’ve been pretty good at keeping up with my resolution. At first it was really difficult trying to fall asleep around 11 pm since I’m so used to sleeping at 12:30 am or later. Waking up at 6 am is different every day. The days that I’ve fallen asleep around 11, I wake up at 6 feeling pretty good and not too tired. However, the days where I don’t fall asleep early, I wake up feeling so exhausted that it’s so tempting to just go back to sleep. So far, I have succeeded in waking up even when I’m tired. From 6 to 6:30, I make my coffee and lunch, then I sit in my room and read a book or just chill. I really like this half hour that I have for myself. I find it very relaxing and even look forward to them now. My friend and I have kept up with going to the gym, with the exception of a few rest days that we really needed to relax. I think going to the gym with a friend is beneficial because we tend to motivate each other to keep up with our schedule. The only downside to this schedule is that sometimes I feel drained in the middle of the school day and have to keep myself awake for a few more classes. 

Overall, I’ve been enjoying my new schedule! I gave myself the chance to focus on my mind and body. I feel a lot more relaxed and motivated in the mornings. I am feeling very determined to keep up with this schedule. 

Riya Roy

Jefferson '24

Hi! I'm Riya, a Senior Pre-Med major at Jefferson! I'm from Northeast Philly and I've lived there my whole life. I enjoy reading, art, baking and binge watching Netflix! This year, I'm one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus Jefferson and I'm so excited!! Hope you enjoy my articles :)