This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Lately, I’ve noticed that my hair has been slowly becoming more and more curly. My hair used to be more on the wavy side and started to change when I began college. I used to hate my curly hair and wished it was straight. I would either put my hair in a bun or blow dry it straight to hide the fact that I have curly hair. Like a calling, I started to see more curly hair routines on TikTok’s FYP, so I decided to give one a try. Now, I love my curly hair because I learned how to style it. Here is my routine that has been working pretty well for my hair:

1. Brush my hair

Before I wash my hair, I brush it out starting with my ends. My ends get very knotted by the time its wash day, so I gently get through those knots. This just avoids my hair getting more knotted before my next wash and its easier to apply conditioner when its untangled.

1. Shampoo

Then, I hop into the shower and make sure my hair is completely wet. I apply my shampoo only to my scalp and massage that in for a few minutes. I always make sure to use the pads of my fingers or a scalp massager to do this. You want to make sure you’re as gentle as possible. I use the Hask Argan Oil Repairing Shampoo.

1. Conditioner

After I wash out my shampoo, I will apply conditions only to my strands and ends, focusing more on my ends. I run the conditioner through my strands until I’m sure that all my hair has been conditioned. I leave this in my hair while I finish up the rest of my shower (about 5-7 minutes). I use the Hask Tea Tree & Rosemary Oil Scalp Care Conditioner.

1. Dry my hair

Once I wash the conditioner out of my hair, I will get out of the shower and dry my hair. First, I gently wring out as much water as I can. Then, I take a cotton T-shirt and scrunch my hair until all the excess water is out.

1. Comb my hair

I will then use a wide tooth comb to comb out my hair and separate curls. I always make sure that I am very gentle with this since hair is more prone to breakage when its wet.

1. Curl Cream

I’ll take a few pumps of curl cream and run that through my hair. Then, I’ll start to scrunch it in. I use the Pantene Pro-V Wave & Curl Defining Hydrating Crème.

1. Mousse

Then, I’ll use about 2 quarters sized glob of mousse. I run the mousse through my hair and then scrunch, just like the curl cream. You want to make sure you’re not putting too much mousse or else your hair will end up too crunchy. I use the Aussie Headstrong Volume with Bamboo & Kakadu Plum Mousse.

1. Frizz Cream

My hair can be very frizzy and dry, so my frizz cream is my best friend! After I put the mousse in my hair and my hair has dried, I’ll put my frizz cream in. I’ve noticed that the cream works better for me when my hair is dry. I use Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Smooth Leave-in Conditioning Cream.

1. Pineapple

No, I don’t put pineapple in my hair! When I go to sleep, to prevent the curls from getting messed up or falling out, I tie my hair up, so it looks like a pineapple. You could always search up “pineapple hair method” and it’ll tell you all about it. I usually use a satin scrunchie and loosely tie my hair right on top of my head.

When I wake up, I usually brush the top of my head to tame flyaway and I use my fingers to separate my curls. And that’s my whole routine!

Riya Roy

Jefferson '24

Hi! I'm Riya, a Senior Pre-Med major at Jefferson! I'm from Northeast Philly and I've lived there my whole life. I enjoy reading, art, baking and binge watching Netflix! This year, I'm one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus Jefferson and I'm so excited!! Hope you enjoy my articles :)