This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Smelling good is such a simple pleasure in life. Perfume or scent is always the last thing I use to get ready, and I strongly believe its role is just as influential as any piece of clothing. I’m always trying out new scents and “stealing” people’s signature scents to try for myself. After years of collecting different scents, here are my 5 top favorites of all time! 

Very Good Girl by Carolina Herrera

Price range: $76-$132

Profile: Floral, sweet, vanilla, redcurrant, lychee, rose, and vetiver

Packaging: 10/10 Glass red heel

How it wears: Personally, I am very sensitive to scents and Very Good Girl is very strong. I only wear one half spray on my neck and maybe a half spray for each wrist. I continue to wear Very Good Girl because it smells so good. However, I do sometimes get headaches when I put the scent too high on my neck. I always get compliments and questions when I wear this. It makes me feel elevated but NOT old.

Gucci Flora by Gucci

Price range: $82-$138

Profile: Floral, pear blossom, white gardenia, jasmine, brown sugar, and patchouli

Packaging:  7/10 Pretty and elevated

How it wears: Gucci Flora is very light and fresh. This scent makes me feel clean, bright, and “springy.” It is not a very “loud” scent, so I’ll wear it during the day. 

Wanderlust by American Eagle

Price: $35 (is off the market so prices may vary)

Profile: Pear, bergamot, passion fruit, sandalwood, and vanilla

Packaging: 7/10 Glass bottle and cute decorated leather cap

How it wears: This was my signature scent in high school. I would probably still wear it now if they still sold it in stores. I’ve been holding onto the last drops in my bottle for special occasions. The nicest compliment anyone had given me while wearing this was, “I smelled this in the hallway and immediately started looking around for you.” This scent is easy to wear daily, it is sweet but fresh. This scent also lasts all day, and I can smell it on clothing after it’s been sitting in the laundry bin for a while. For the price, this was my favorite perfume.

Dahlia by Bath & Body Works

Price: $15.50

Profile: Velvet Dahlia petals, crisp pear, praline musk, and whipped tonka bean

Packaging: 3/10 Art on the bottle is cute but it comes in plastic

How it wears: This is a fine fragrance mist from Bath & Body Works. The scent itself is amazing. It is the perfect balance between sweet and rich but also light and floral. I wear it almost every day. I do have to reapply it however it smells so good that I don’t care.

Frosted Coconut Snowball by Bath & Body Works

Price: $15.50

Profile: Frosted coconut, north pole vanilla, winter freesia, snow-kissed woods, and spun sugar

Packaging: 2/10 Art on bottle is cartoony and it comes in plastic

How it wears: I have this scent in the fragrance mist, lotion, and shower gel. I cannot get enough of it. The scent itself is very sweet and will fill the room. It is sweet but not dense and does not give me any sort of headache. Anytime I wear this fragrance I get compliments and questions.

Scent has the power to completely change your attitude and transform an outfit. I think it’s worth it to note that good scents and perfumes can be found at any price point. Just because it may not be within your means to spend over $100 on a scent does not mean you can’t enjoy the same feelings; it just takes finding the right one!

Mari Adamson

Jefferson '24

Mari is a 4th year at Jefferson University, majoring in health sciences and enrolled in the Pre-Physician's Assistant Program with a minor in Law. In her spare time she enjoys hiking and finding new places to eat. She also has a passion for photography and self-care!