Melody Gajewski

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Meet Melody Gajewski! A sophomore engineer major at Philadelphia University. She is a resident assistant for first year students, a choices facilitator, an ambassador, and works as a technician’s assistant at the technology help desk. She is also involved with LEAD, NSLS, Alpha Lambda Delta, and she is the co-captain of PhilaU’s very own step team.

Throughout her childhood and into her early adulthood, Melody always knew she was unique. She would spend her high school days walking down the halls of Howll High School, which was located in a rough town with a high drug rate. As she watched a lot of her friends fall down misfortunate paths, she made the mature decision to let go and find new friends who would be positive influences. To stay above the influence, Melody committed the majority of her time studying and helping her mother with the restaurant her family owns. At Melody’s Café, she worked every position. She was the manager, a waitress, a bus girl, a dishwasher, and a co-cook. These different jobs taught her people skills, time management, and many more valuable life lessons which helped her become the person she is today. She graduated high school with a 3.7 GPA and with an extreme interest in technology and constructing things.

Melody always had strong dreams that she wanted to pursue and she knew that she was ambitious enough to accomplish them. Throughout her freshman year, she used the lessons she learned about time management to make friendships that will last a lifetime while maintaining a 4.0. Melody became a resident assistant at Ronson for first year students. Here, she lives in D hall and makes sure all of her residents are living in peaceful environments.  

Her second job on campus is being a Choices Facilitator, a student that holds discussions with other students who are underage and caught drinking on campus. It’s an hour long course where she discusses the harmful effects liquor has on their bodies. Melody is also a Rambassador, she gives tours around PhilaU’s campus to perspective students. Last but definitely not least, Melody is a technician’s assistant at the technology help desk. Here, students come to her for help involving their laptops or other technologies.

Melody is also involved with many extracurricular activities. When she isn’t working or studying, Melody spends her time by being involved in two leadership programs, LEAD and The National Society for Leadership and Success (NSLS). LEAD is a leadership program where she goes through many workshops that teach her the necessary skills to be able to call herself a leader. NSLS is a coed leadership fraternity where she invests her time in other workshops that help her become a leader as well. The projects done in NSLS are aimed to help her work on herself. She also invests her time in Alpha Lambda Delta, an honor society where she accomplishes community service. Last but definitely not least, she is the co-captain of PhilaU’s very own step team which is new and upcoming.

Melody hopes to achieve many accomplishments in the bright future she has created for herself. She believes that living in America, you are given many opportunities that others in different countries will never be able to achieve. Melody has always wanted to give back to those who haven’t had the same opportunities that she has. After graduation, Melody wants to attend grad school and then join the Peace Corps before she settles down in her future career. After the Peace Corps and her future career, Melody dreams involve working hard enough to be at peace in her elderly years. Her dream is to own an island where animals live together in harmony.

Overall, Melody wants to achieve internal happiness. She wants to be remembered for how happy she was, what she achieved in her lifetime, and the things that she has done for others. As Melody says, “life is the struggling journey to pure enlightenment.”