Marvel’s (Exceptional!) Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings – Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

*Article contains spoilers*

As a ginormous Marvel fan, I definitely had to provide my review and commentary regarding Marvel’s Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. To briefly summarize the general plot of the movie, Shang-Chi, played by Simu Liu, is confronted by the past that he has left behind due to his encounter with the Ten Rings organization. The movie was released in theaters on Friday, September 3rd, 2021. I, fortunately, was able to watch the movie in my local theater before the release date on Thursday, September 2nd, 2021 and because the movie was so awesome, I watched it again on Saturday, September 4th, 2021.

As mentioned before, I believe that the movie was exceptional in all aspects possible; however, I will break my review into various categories to create a better understanding. These categories consist of cast/casting, plot, and visuals.

Starting with cast/casting, I wanted to express how pleased I am with the Asian representation in the movie. I sincerely have never seen so many Asian actors and actresses cast in a movie so I am so delighted that they are finally receiving the recognition and praise they deserve within the movie industry. More specifically, Marvel has never had an Asian superhero which is a huge deal amongst the Marvel fan base and community. The Asian actors and actresses that were cast in previous Marvel movies were only supporting characters and/or extra characters. I believe that Simu Liu is an excellent choice to be cast as Shang-Chi, Marvel’s first Asian superhero as well. Simu Liu embodies the character so well, even from just the way he presents and carries himself. Excuse my language, but Simu Liu looks so badass in all of the fighting scenes as well. Katy, Awkwafina, is so effortlessly funny and genuinely had me laughing the majority of the movie. Awkwafina and Simu Liu’s chemistry together is also unmatched, and I could not picture anyone else playing these characters. The Mandarin, Tony Leung Chiu-wai, makes you feel deep emotions while watching the character’s motives as an antagonist and learning their backstory. Meng’er Zhang is such a female powerhouse as well and is so inspiring to the feminist community.

Moving onto the plot, I genuinely could say that Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings is the best Marvel movie that I have ever seen solely because of the story. The character development of Shang-Chi throughout the film is absolutely perfect. (Huge spoilers ahead) Starting off as a valet, using his traumatic past (his mother dying at a young age and basically being a hitman for his father) to inspire him to become a better person and ultimately transforming into a hero. Since I briefly mentioned his mother’s death, there are a multitude of emotional moments throughout the film. I found myself tearing up and crying at multiple points. My heart was genuinely touched because of the film. I have learned a lot from the film, such as always chasing after my dreams and being strong no matter the circumstance. You can certainly form your own connections to the movie.

Ending off with visuals, I really loved the scenery of the movie. I especially enjoyed the view of the ancient village, Ta Lo, in the film. The mythical creatures in the ancient village are so breathtaking and so visually appealing to look at. My favorite mythical creature is Morris, the faceless furry creature. Morris is so loveable and so adorable. I just want to claim Morris as my own pet and take him home with me. I personally really love nature as well, and I wish I could live in the midst of the forest like the Ta Lo villagers do. I really feel as though the visual effects truly added to the film as a whole. The visual effects truly made me feel as though I was in the film and a part of the Shang-Chi universe. Movies that make you feel as if you are living the story generally have a better effect on its audience.

It is simple, go see Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings if you have not. I promise you that it is so worth it. This movie is a movie that everyone of all backgrounds and ages can enjoy.

Alyssa Farmer

Jefferson '24

I'm Alyssa! I'm a second year Nursing student. I love music, crystals, astrology, incense, Halloween, Marvel, Squishmallows, ramen and animals!