Hero Copy
Hero Copy
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media

An Introduction to Astrology

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

I know a lot of people are skeptical of astrology and don’t believe that the placements of the stars have an impact on us, such as our actions, feelings, personality, etc. But we can agree to disagree, because I happen to love astrology. One of the reasons I love it is that the detailed descriptions surrounding my birth chart really resonate with me. Also, astrology is incredibly complex and forces you to look inside yourself. What are my desires? How do I assert myself in this world? How do I display my affection to the people in my life?

Although many of us are familiar with the concept of our sun sign, which is what you would respond with when someone asks you your zodiac sign, you have many other “signs” or placements that constitute your birth chart that signify different aspects of what make you, you. The three most important signs are your sun, moon, and rising/ascendant sign.

To find your birth chart, a key resource I use is the link here, which gives an intricate report of your natal chart when you input your birthday, time of birth, and location of birth.

https://astro.cafeastrology.com/natal.php

Your sun sign represents your personality, the heart of everything you do. People may not be able to recognize your sun sign right off the bat. Often, you might have to get to know someone to recognize it. Your moon sign represents your unconscious being, your inner thoughts and psyche. It indicates how you internalize the environment around you. Your ascendant sign is how you present yourself to the world, and often defines how people perceive you in a social setting. Though it’s often defined as the “mask’ we wear, the rising sign is a large part of us and defines our demeanor in how we approach the world.

Apart from the big three, there are many other main placements that define us. Our Mercury placement defines how we communicate to others, our mars defines “our will, drive, sexual energy, and how we assert ourselves” (Women’s Health), and our Venus defines our style of showing love and adoration. Finding out what my big three and my main planetary placements are has made me more aware of my place in this world and who I am as a person. No, I don’t just look at these placements and accept them blindly, but when I read what my placements are, they genuinely feel scarily accurate. I don’t think the stars have a fixed way of determining who we will become, since our environment truly has a large impact on who we are. We are all capable of improving on weaknesses that are often attributed to our zodiac signs. However, I think astrology is a fun way to find out more about one another, that is if you have full faith in the stars.

References:

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/life/g27912214/mars-sign/

Ali Friedberg

Jefferson '23

I'm Ali and I'm a psychology/occupational therapy student. Lover of cheesecake, old music, and self care?