How to Not Freak Out About Changing Your Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Ah, the Spring Semester – change is in the air! Everyone’s anxious about what’s coming next, and it’s usually a big time to change majors. This time 3 years ago, I was having a mid-year crisis of my own, switching from Fashion Design (something I always thought I’d do) to Professional Communications. It was scary, and really overwhelming at the time, but here’s a few things that hindsight has taught me.

1.     There will be a lot of noise.

I remember when I started to talk about it, a lot of people told me what I should do with my college career. I also remember telling my dad this, and him calling all of that “noise.” That simple distinction changed my attitude on the whole thing.

Everyone, from your professors to your next door neighbor, will have an opinion on this decision. Some you will want to take, others you should throw in the trash. You know yourself, you know whose advice is important to you, and who you trust. Everything else, it’s just noise.

2.     The biggest mistake of your life doesn’t exist.

Okay, maybe there are mistakes you could make that would qualify, but changing your major is not one of them. I know it seems big now, especially when it’s a large jump, but it’ll be okay. College is a time to learn, experience, and grow. That’s what’s most important right now. If you think you’ll learn, experience and grow more in a different major, then that’s reason enough.

Maybe it’s worth sticking with it through the rough patches, or maybe you’re ready to move on with your life. Only you can make that choice. If it’s the right choice for you, it’s not a mistake. I still dream about fashion design from time to time, but still I’m so happy in my career. It was the right move for me.

3.     Don’t knock the process of elimination.

Wouldn’t it be nice if we were just a perfect match to the thing we thought we were born to do? It doesn’t always work that way. In fact, a lot of very successful people I know have a closet full of experiences that taught them what they didn’t want. I’ve already gotten one or two. You can’t know until you do something, so don’t be discouraged if you don’t like it.

Sure, it’s more painful than being wonderful and loving something right off the bat. However, in some ways it’s equally, if not more, beneficial. Knowing what you don’t want gets you a step closer to finding what you do want. Not every failed attempt is a failure.

4.     “Adulthood is something that happens to you. It’s something you make.”

I’ll leave you with this quote from How to Adult on Youtube. It’s a good reminder when I’m looking for jobs, working here on Her Campus, or even struggling to find time to do my laundry. It’s okay to be freaked out about making this big decision, but don’t let it run you. You can take control here.

Nothing is going to happen unless you make it happen. In the case of making a change in your academics, don’t forget to think about the adulthood you’re trying to build for yourself. This was my first big decision as an adult, but it taught me so much about my independence.

At the end of the day, no one can make this choice but you, so take a deep breath, clear your head, and trust yourself. You got this.