Style > Beauty

Five Beauty Products Within the College Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Being obsessed with hair and makeup, preparing what to bring to college was hard for me. As the girl who has every single Sephora palette you can think of and would spend twenty dollars on mascara rather than a piece of clothing, cutting down on my hair and makeup products was a real struggle. When I was getting ready to move in, I needed to think of beauty products that would be not only easy to bring to college, but would fit in the college student budget. Throughout my search I have found these five products that work for me and do not force me to spend more than eight or nine dollars on a single product. I know there has to be a group of girls like me out there that understand my struggle, so no more worries! I’ve got you girls covered with this list.

Image from static.pexels.com
1. Maybelline BB Cream Foundation

$6.29 at Target

For only a little over six dollars, this foundation works really great for me. Everyone’s skin is different, but the fact that this is a BB cream foundation separates it from other foundations. BB Cream is much better for your skin; it protects with SPF 30 and has no oils or heavy ingredients. This foundation will brighten and even your skin tone while blurring imperfections at the same time. This lasts me about three months and has always been my favorite!

Image from beautezine.com

2. Maybelline Falsies Mascara

Image from theplasticdiaries.com

$4.99 at Target

Before leaving for college, I was addicted to a mascara by Too Faced. There is one problem…it costs $23. Within the college life budget, I found the Falsies mascara by Maybelline, and it works just as great! Without mascara, you would not know I have eyelashes. I need a really effective mascara to make my lashes bold, and this product does just that. The spoon brush does a great job at lengthening and volumizing my lashes. It is only five dollars at Target and there are a few different shades of colors you can get of the product. I like to use blackest black because I feel that does the best job of making my lashes visible.

3. E.l.f. Contouring Blush and Bronzing Powder

Image from Walmart.com

$3.00 at Walmart

When first experimenting with makeup I came across this product, and have sworn by it ever since. First of all, e.l.f. (eyes, lips, face) is one of the best makeup brands. It is extremely affordable and the products work great. This bronzer and blush duo in the shade St. Lucia is my favorite product from their brand. There are four shades to choose from for different skin tones, and this product lasts a really long time. Just think, you are getting blush and bronzer in one rather than paying at least five dollars for them separately. Cheap, long lasting, effective products are perfect for any college girl and I have certainly found that in this.

4 . Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe Texturizing Sea Salt Spray

Image from Amazon.com

$4.74 at Walmart

On days I have to wake up early, I do not feel like blow drying my hair. I want to do the least to my hair as possible if that means more time to sleep in. This texturizing spray is great because I can have damp hair and spray some of this in, scrunch it a bit, and have beautiful waves the rest of the day as my hair dries. I use this at least three times a week, and for less than five dollars it is amazing! The price is perfect for the college life budget and the fact that it takes me less than five minutes to do my hair using this is perfect for the college lifestyle. A bottle lasts me at least three months, so it is worth giving it a try for the great price!

5. Maybelline The Nudes Eyeshadow Palette

Image from Mabelline.com

$6.76 at Walmart

With Urban Decay’s Naked palettes becoming more and more popular, they are also becoming more and more expensive. This palette by Maybelline is only a little over seven dollars at Walmart stores, and the shades remind me a lot of the naked palette colors. There are twelve different colors to choose from, meaning you can create a different look each day for an affordable price. This palette is also easy for travel, which is great for if you go home on weekends or spend the night at a friend’s place.

While there are so many options of cheaper products that work great, these are five that I need on a daily basis. There are also many stores you can buy these products at, but I tried to find the cheapest prices available. I hope this helped any of the girls who were going through the same struggle I was! Until next time!