This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Name: Brittany DeColli

Year: Senior

Major: Fashion Design, minoring in Business

If asked how to describe Philadelphia University senior Brittany DeColli, I would have to say that she’s probably one of the most personable, sincere, and approachable people you could ever meet.

Brittany firmly believes in making an impact on her community, starting with the people around her, and as she says, that “starts with a smile.” Her job at the Information Desk on campus (where she’s been working for 3 years now) definitely fits her personality and her philosophy. When asked what she likes the most about her job, she told me that she loves being able to meet new people and getting to help them. On top of that, her boss, GC, has been a great mentor to her, and her co-workers “make the job”. She has a great relationship with all of them, describing this year’s team like a family. In fact, she’s actually been playing Assassin with her coworkers for the past two weeks, so if you see her speed-walking to classes and constantly looking over her shoulder, you’ll know why!

When it comes to relationships though, the ones Brittany has formed within her sorority, Delta Phi Epsilon, (or DPhiE) have become truly special to her. Brittany has been in DPhiE since the fall of her freshman year at PhilaU, and president of the sorority since her junior year in 2012. She says that she knew from the beginning that it was the right place for her and quickly connected with the girls in DPhiE and Cystic Fibrosis, the philanthropic cause the sorority supports, which really resonated with her personally. When asked what she learned from being in DPhiE that she wants to take away after graduation, Brittany said that it would be not being afraid to be herself, or apologize for being silly. She also talked about her process of evolving into a leader, and how much she has grown from her role as a guide, providing motivation, inspiration, and support. Finally, Brittany tells me she’s learned that sometimes it’s bigger than herself – that there is sometimes more going on, and a bigger impact that can be made beyond just her impact in the present.

Another thing that has shaped Brittany was her five-week study abroad experience in Rome, Italy, (plus a week-long pre-study abroad getaway with her friend in London, England that included multiple clubs, seeing Walk the Moon live, turning 21, and an overall experience that Brittany describes as the “best week of her life”) where she studied International Economics and International Finance at John Cabot University for five weeks to supplement her minor in Business. While the actual experience in Rome wasn’t for her (it does happen, guys!), Brittany learned a ton during her time away and really developed as a person. She opened up to me about the loss of a family member shortly before her time abroad, and how she wasn’t in the best place going into it. We’ve talked before about her expectations for study abroad and how even though her experience didn’t live up to those expectations, she learned what she loves about herself and other people, and what makes her special. By being pushed out of her comfort zone during study abroad through tough encounters with other people, classes she didn’t think she’d escape from alive, and the experience in general, she says she became the best version of herself.

As Brittany gets ready to graduate, she’s going through a lot of conflicting emotions. She just registered for her final semester of classes last week and tells me that the experience is definitely bittersweet. While she’s excited to get out into her field and join the fashion world, she will miss the people here and the friendships she’s made, and isn’t looking forward to saying goodbye. She laughs and adds that she won’t miss staying up until 2 AM every night in the studio though, which she’s been doing a lot of for her Collection I class, where she’s making a three-look collection inspired by African tribal art. The pieces she’s most excited about so far include a pencil skirt with a pleated overlay, and a jacket that she collaborated with a textile grad student to create the fabric for. Brittany also just landed a spring internship with her dream company, Proenza Schouler, a womenswear and accessory brand based in New York. She’s extremely excited to be spending some time in SoHo, and gaining experience at a company that she’s always wanted to be a part of. Moving forward, Brittany hopes to continue working with the company after her internship, and eventually wants to serve as a creative director for a fashion label.

Reflecting on her time at PhilaU and where she is now at the end of her journey, Brittany gave some awesome final words. First as she moves forward, she hopes that she’s always happy and doing something she loves with someone she loves, and that she is always comfortable with herself – definitely great goals to have! When asked what she would want to tell freshmen and current students, she told me that if she had the chance to go back and talk to freshman Brittany (and freshmen now), she would say to first, always trust your heart and your intuition. Secondly, she would say to “work your butt off!” because that’s how dreams happen (which we can totally see now, talking to senior Brittany!). Thirdly, she would say not to be afraid to be yourself, and finally to always text (or call) your parents to tell them that you love them.

A special thank you to Brittany for taking the time out to give such fantastic advice and talk about her life, and we wish her all the best in her final semester and beyond!