Books to Read This Black History Month (and All Year-Round) 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

As a reader and a person, it is important to read books that are well-rounded and showcase various different cultures year-round. While I am recommending these books during black history month it is important to not limit yourself to this one month but to make the active choice to read books by authors of varying races and ethnicities all year round. Below I have listed books written by African American authors to read this year.

1. Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption by Bryan Stevenson – This book is one that will stay with you for years to come. This book explores the journey of a young lawyer, Bryan Stevenson as he establishes the Equal Justice Initiative to defend individuals that are wrongfully convicted, poor, or imprisoned. I was emotionally moved by this book in more than one way and I recommend it to all readers who truly want to expand their thought process of the judicial system.
  2. Restore Me by J.L. Seegars – The book follows Sloane Kent, a widower, and Dominic Alexander, the best friend of Sloane’s late husband. Dominic has always loved Sloane but was never able to express it in any form other than hate but when forced to work with Sloane on a project, the sparks of love emerged. Sloane grieved the loss of her husband for four years and when met with Dominic, his best friend and a man who has always hated her, she now feels all the things she felt with her husband. This book is for anyone who loves enemy-to-lovers romance, love after loss, and forbidden romance. 
  3. Merry Inkmas by Talia  – In this book, Cash Evans and Bailey Cooper have troubled childhoods that mold their perspective on love. Cash Evans owns a tattoo shop and has a 90-day policy on relationships while Bailey Cooper is the new hire at Cash’s shop who runs from love. Even though this is a 200-page novella it is full of cute moments that have you clutching your heart wanting such a romance. This book is for anyone who loves short romances, Christmas romances, the grumpy-sunshine trope, and the boss-employee trope.
  4. Colliding With Fate by A.E. Valdez – A book that is about Kyrell Knight who does not take life seriously and indulges in every moment as he tries to move on from his past. Kyrell meets Quin, a successful nurse throughout the years because of their mutual best friend Harlow however this time they become friends with benefits. This book is on my to-be-read list because the idea of soulmates and destiny, that both Kyrell and Quinn are fated to meet and be together struck a chord within me and I hope it puts this book on your to-be-read list also.
  5. Reel by Kennedy Ryan – This book is about Cannon Holt, a famous director, and Neevah Saint, an actor who went from Broadway to Hollywood in only a few moments. Cannon casts Neevah in a Harlem Renaissance biopic but struggles as this one chance at her dream may cost her the love of her life. This book is about a forbidden romance which only makes the book more worth reading however it also touches on various other topics that provide a more deep and rich background to the story. This book is the latest addition to my to-be-read list not only because of the forbidden romance energy, and a grumpy-sunshine trope but also the amount of drama that will make reading the book a cinematic experience as per reviewers.

As a side note: The order of these books is not my ranking of them, I have read some of these books and others are on my to-be-read list due to popularity and plot details. To know more about these books please go on to Goodreads to learn more. 

The books mentioned above are a small portion of the books written by African American authors and published every year. I hope the books I have recommended will bring entertainment, enjoyment, and a new perspective into your life. Books are meant to give us a new world to join and explore and the books above give you that opportunity to remove yourself from your present life and delve into a new universe.

Vrunda Raj

Jefferson '27

A writer who hopes to inspire and inform people with her words and thoughts. I enjoy writing about food, current world events, research topics and a multitude of other subjects.