Books I’ve Been Reading

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

What better way to spend your free time, if you’re fortunate enough to have any on the weekends like myself that is, than with a good book! Here’s a look into what I’ve been reading this semester:

1. Harry Potter Series

– The Harry Potter series is a reread for me, the franchise was a large part of my childhood and is an integral part of my life today. A series filled with magic, friendship and feelings of nostalgia. I know so many people who have yet to read the books despite being an avid fan of the films! Be sure to take the time and know the inner workings of the characters J.K. Rowling created. This series is a comfortable classic, and it’s like returning to a home away from home in an alternate universe.

2. Becoming – Michelle Obama

– Once I heard the former First Lady had released a book, I absolutely knew I had to get my hands on it. It was my first time attending the Women’s March last year, and since then, I’ve been paying more attention to empowering women in literature. This book is essentially a memoir of the life and experiences of Michelle Obama, and how she has defied expectations in all aspects of her life. Michelle Obama is an inspiration to me, highlighting the best parts of herself while talking about some of her greatest disappointments. Michelle Obama talks about how it’s okay to be human, to have feelings, to take it one step at a time. This thought is commonly brushed under the rug in today’s society.

3. The Hazel Wood – Melissa Albert

– You can’t always judge a book by it’s cover, but the intricate design that reminded me of an old fairytale that drew me to pick this book up! Despite my initial predisposed judgement, I ended up loving the story more than I initially thought I would. Without giving too much of the plot away, the main character, Alice, goes on a journey to discover the tales her grandmother left, an author of dark styled fairy tales. As a lover of Disney and the Grimm Brothers, this book was a perfect mesh for mystery and fantasy fans alike.

"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me." C.S. Lewis