This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

This fall season boo baskets have been all the rage with many people making them for loved ones to bring some extra joy this Halloween season. People have put their own spin on the boo baskets to make them more enjoyable for the recipients. I think an important part of the Halloween season is having a perfect setup to enjoy your books while waiting for trick-or-treaters to come. Thus, below I have organized how to create a boo basket using categories and various options to create the perfect bookish boo basket for Halloween lovers or even for yourself.

Steps to Crafting a Bookish Boo Basket

1. The Basket – Choose the perfect basket for your book worm whether that is a cute Halloween basket, a spooky basket, or something in between. Choosing the perfect basket for your gift is the first step to creating the perfect Halloween gift for your bookworm.
  2. The Perfect Book – This is arguably the most important part of creating a bookish basket because you are giving the reader a new book for Halloween. The perfect book will capture the essence of your book basket and is the basis of the rest of the items in the basket. Understand your bookworm to give them the book that fits their standards whether that is a classic book like Dracula by Bram Stoker or Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson, a spooky thriller like Verity by Colleen Hoover or The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson, or a Halloween Romance book such as The Ex Hex by Erin Sterling or The Very Secret Society of Irregular Witches by Sangu Mandanna. All of these books are great options to become the star of your bookish boo-basket.
  3. The Edible Treats – Oftentimes when reading, readers often like having something to drink or snack on to make reading time more enjoyable. You can add tea bags or instant coffees that have spooky sayings or book quotes to make it more special. Add in packaged snacks like cookies, crackers, and other favorites of the reader. You can also add in sweet treats like chocolates and candies which are enjoyed by readers greatly.
  4. The Bookish Accessories – Cute book items will create an even more enjoyable reading experience for the recipient. Accessories can include candles with book quotes, spooky or bookish mugs, cute bookmarks that make reading fancier or easier, book page holders, sticky tabs, cozy socks, Halloween stuffed toys, plush throws, literary quilts, or throw pillows. A combination of these accessories will make the best reading ambiance possible for the reader.
  5. The Personal Touch – The final touch to this book basket is adding handwritten notes attached to each piece of gift. Each of the notes can have a quote relating to the item, why you gave this item in particular, or special messages about their relationship. Adding this personal touch allows the recipient to understand that this is a special, thoughtful gift that has a lot of love and care in it. This last step pushes the gift from being great to being wonderfully amazing.

Putting the Bookish Boo Basket Together

1. Make sure that the basket chosen matches the items given and clean it up so that it looks perfect to start organizing the gifts in. 
  2. Place the heaviest or largest items at the bottom and sides allowing for more space in the front. Try to place the book in the center so that the reader looks at it first and the book grabs their attention. Layer the smaller gifts and accessories in the front so they are easy to see and the gift is more fun to open. 
  3. Make your basket more cozy and full by adding Halloween-themed crinkle paper, soft paper tissue, or decorative fabric to the bottom or other open areas.
  4. Wrap up your basket using clear cellophane, secure it with a cute Halloween ribbon, and add a handwritten tag to make the gift more special and personal.
  5. The final step is to deliver your gift to the recipient. 

A bookish book basket is the perfect unexpected gift to give this Halloween season because it allows the recipient to understand that they are cared for and appreciated in the giver’s life. I think that everyone should create a book-boo basket because it is just as much fun creating one as it is giving it to your favorite bookworm. This curated literary gift is the perfect way to enjoy the Halloween season so I hope all of you will follow this article to create your basket because it will bring you so much joy as well as the person you gift the basket to.

Vrunda Raj

Jefferson '27

A writer who hopes to inspire and inform people with her words and thoughts. I enjoy writing about food, current world events, research topics and a multitude of other subjects.