6 Ways to Upcycle your T-shirts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Most of us have a collection of t-shirts or tanks from various events and/or stages of life that might not get a lot of use. Instead of letting take up valuable space, get creative and turn your t-shirts into something fun and useful with these 6 DIYs!

1. Reinvent them as lounge or statement tops

This is super easy, and all you need is a pair of scissors and a little creativity! Try different cutouts, braiding techniques, and strategic ties to turn a boring t-shirt into a fun DIY piece. If you’re feeling really adventurous, experiment with adding trims or using some dyeing techniques to add a little more personality!

Image via Urban Outfitters

2. Craft them into a headband

Any girl can understand how great an easy slip-on headband is on days where we just run out of time to style ourhair, or for keeping it out of the way while working out. T-shirt headbands are comfortable and easy to make, and are great ways to revitalize old jersey t-shirts!

Image & tutorial via Cassidy Miller Photography Blog  

3. Turn them into reusable bags

Tired of hauling books and groceries around in boring bags? Turn a cute graphic tee into a reusable tote bag in just a few minutes. Stylish and functional for the win!

Image via Tumblr

4. Reimagine them as one-of-a-kind accessories

This is by far my favorite way to upcycle a t-shirt! There are so many options from necklaces, to bracelets, to earrings, and they all make really special, conversational pieces. If you’re crafty with tools, you can go a bit farther and add some hardware for a more refined piece!

Image & tutorials via Brit + Co

5. Make them into pillowcases

This option works well with any t-shirt, whether woven or knit. Go simple with a solid tee, or make a statement pillow using a graphic tee. Much cheaper and just as cute as any store-bought pillow!

Image & tutorial via Jezebel

6. Display them as art pieces

If you’re one of those people who still has t-shirts from high school or college that are well loved and worn or just don’t fit,but you don’t have the heart to get rid of, this is perfect excuse for hanging onto them! Rather than letting them sit in your drawers collecting dust, give them a new home by framing them or attaching them to canvases and displaying them as art pieces! In addition to being nostalgic memorabilia, they make great (and inexpensive) conversation pieces in a dorm or apartment.

Image via Etsy, tutorial via Nicole Olea