thought 2123970 1920jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
thought 2123970 1920jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Pixaby
Culture > News

6 African American Inventors You Probably Didn’t Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.
 Garrett Morgan- Three-Light Traffic Lights

Not only did Garrett Morgan create the three-light traffic light, but he also improved sewing machines and gas masks. Garrett Morgan created the yellow light after he noticed several accidents occurring. With the addition of the yellow light, drivers are aware of when the red light will appear and when to stop.

Marie Van Brittan Brown- Home Security System

Marie Van Brittan Brown created the home security system when she felt unsafe in her home without her husband. The crime rates in her neighborhood were high and police were unreliable. The first device she created was a camera that was on the door’s peephole which was connected to a monitor, so she could see the people that come to her door.

Madam C. J. Walker- Hair Care Products

Madame C. J. Walker created these African American hair care products when she suffered from hair loss from a scalp condition. She became America’s first female self-made millionaire. Her hair products are still around today and can be found in stores like Sephora.

Dr. Patricia Bath- Laser Cataract Treatment

Dr. Patricia Bath was the first African American female to receive a medical patent as a doctor. She invented the laser cataract treatment called a Laserphaco Probe. She was also the first African American to complete a residency in ophthalmology.

Lewis Latimer- Carbon Filament

Lewis Latimer invented the carbon filament which is a key component of the lightbulb. He worked with inventors like Thomas Edison and Hiram Maxim. Lewis Latimer created other items that we use today like an air conditioning unit. He also worked with Alexander Graham Bell to create the patent for the design of the telephone.

Lonnie G. Johnson- The Super Soaker

Lonnie G. Johnson is the inventor of our favorite water gun: The Super Soaker. However, Johnson is not a toymaker. He’s actually an Aerospace Engineer for NASA. Lonnie G. Johnson has worked on the Galileo Jupiter probe and the Mars Observer Project. He is currently working on the Johnson Thermoelectric Energy Converter which converts heat to electricity.

Riya Roy

Jefferson '24

Hi! I'm Riya, a Senior Pre-Med major at Jefferson! I'm from Northeast Philly and I've lived there my whole life. I enjoy reading, art, baking and binge watching Netflix! This year, I'm one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus Jefferson and I'm so excited!! Hope you enjoy my articles :)
Sam Miller

Jefferson '21

Hi! I'm Sam, I'm a fashion design major, my favorite color is purple and I love to sew, dance, and go on Pinterest.