What You Need to Know about the Diva Cup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

In the Her Campus Survival Kit, our Her Campus staff was gifted with a test Diva Cup! Honestly, most of the staff was extremely put off. Is it sanitary? Is it safe?

What is the Diva Cup?

The Diva Cup is a popular brand of menstrual cup. You might be asking yourself, what exactly is a menstrual cup? They are used as reusable and environmentally friendly alternatives to disposable pads, tampons, and panty liners. Instead of absorbing menstrual blood, menstrual cups collect the fluid! Menstrual cups are nothing new. In fact, the earliest version has been around since the early 20th century! The original menstrual cups were made out of rubber. But, now it is more common to find silicone models.

Why should you make the switch?

On average, the typical US female produces approximately 200-325 pounds of waste from feminine hygiene products in their lifetime. This not only includes pads, tampons, and panty liners, but it also concludes all of the applicators, boxes, and plastic that all of these products are packaged in. Talk about a massive carbon footprint! There are many different types of menstrual cups, but the majority of menstrual cups range from $20-$50 dollars. The average lifespan of a menstrual cup is 1-5 years (depending on your usage). By using the menstrual cup, most women save between $100-$150 dollars a year on feminine hygiene products.

How does it work?

The typical disposable feminine products are designed to absorb blood. Menstrual cups, on the other hand, are made to collect blood. They are shaped like a funnel and sit low in your vaginal canal. And don’t worry! Like tampons, the Diva Cup will not get lost or stuck! After you remove it, you simply dump the cup, wash it, and reinsert it. When you wash the Diva Cup it is important to use warm water and mild unscented water-based soap. The Diva Cup company also sells a cleansing product specifically created for treating menstrual cups.

Is it uncomfortable?

When I first took the Diva Cup out of the packaging, I was a little skeptical. Tampons are already a daunting prospect, but the Diva Cup seems massive in comparison! The first time I attempted to insert the Diva Cup, it did not go well. It hurt my pride, but I had to YouTube the best way to use the Diva Cup. It turns out that you need to fold it and contort it into a U shape before placing it inside the vaginal canal. Typically, menstrual cups come in two different sizes. The first size is for women who are under the age of 30, or they have never delivered a baby. The second size is designed for women who are either 30+ or who have delivered a baby either vaginally or by cesarean. The Diva Cup that Her Campus sent our staff was the first model. It fits well, but I might try a different brand that’s a little shorter in length.

Is it worth it?

Honestly, I can’t imagine going back to disposable feminine products. It is not a miracle product, and you will need to empty, wash, and insert the cup at a minimum of every 12 hours. (If you have a heavier flow, it is possible that that number might increase up to 3-4 times a day) But, when it is inserted correctly you can barely feel it. It’s definitely a game changer. I knew I was in love after I attended an hour long cycling class with zero leaks! Thinking back on it, there are so many times that the Diva Cup would have made things so much easier! For example, when I was 18 I went to Guatemala for a few weeks. Unfortunately, during this time I got my period. There are very few things more irksome than having your period in a developing country. In particular-a country where they don’t use toilet paper in public restrooms! It would have been such a relief if I didn’t have to worry about where I could change and dispose of my feminine products! On a final note, they come in a bunch of fancy colors! My Diva Cup is a plain and simple white mode. After looking at all the colors they come in, however, I’m tempted to trade mine in for a hot pink or purple version!