This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

So, quick story: during the summer before my senior year of high school, I had surgery on my jaw for a few different reasons. My surgeons, though, are two of the kindest people I have ever met. They both have asked me to keep in touch, and I just think that the bond I have formed with them is so special. I have known the main surgeon for four years now, and he is simply incredible and I truly could not be more grateful. They both have helped to ease my nerves throughout the duration of my jaw surgery experience. My parents have also helped a bunch. Surgery is expensive and considering how much I had to do before I could even have the surgery, the cost was not a cheap one. Aside from surgery though, they have helped shape me into the woman I am today.

While we have our disagreements from time to time, I could not ask for better parents. I have been given so many values, some of which include hard-work, respect (especially for your elders), and kindness. As for my whole family, I do not think I could live my life without them. I feel so incredibly blessed to be a part of such a big family that is nothing but kind to each other, aside from the jokes we make that we all know are said out of love.

While I am the second youngest cousin on my father’s side of the family and slightly farther up in age on my mother’s side of the family, I am practically best friends with each of my cousins. We all grew up within ten minutes from each other so we all went to school together, and while I have four older siblings, my cousins may as well be my siblings too. As you might have guessed by now, Thanksgiving is almost definitely my favorite holiday because there is nothing else like spending all day with my family and eating the most amazing food.

I am also thankful for my friends because they have always been there for me when I have needed them the most. And while I am just a mere freshman in college, I have met some of the most amazing people in these past few months. I thank God for them every day.

And just in general, I am so thankful for simply being on this earth and being where I am today. Not everyone has the ability to go to college, or even receive a good education, so this is truly an incredible opportunity.

Lastly, I am thankful for the scholars and my fellow tutors for Carroll Reads. I got so lucky with the kids I get to tutor. I have learned that not everyone comes from the same background as me and to see the joy on these kids’ faces when they see me and my peers, it is just incredible. I have also learned that tutoring is surely a challenge, especially energized, little kids but it has certainly opened my eyes, so be appreciative of your teachers! The job is not easy.

And to my fellow tutors, thank you for being my best friends, I could not imagine tutoring with any other group of people, including our Thursday driver, of whom we call “Dad”, and our Tuesday driver for always taking the scenic route to and from the elementary school.

On an ending note, we should feel very grateful to be here, especially here at Carroll. The people are wonderful and it is so obvious that the students and professors care for you and want you to do well in life. I am so happy that I am able to call John Carroll University my home for the next four years.

Go Blue Streaks and Happy Thanksgiving!