Shopping via Unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Shopping via Unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Cam Morin via Unsplash
Style

Thrift Tips & Re-Selling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Since social distancing became the new vibe for spring 2020, many of us are looking for new hobbies to pass the time. Although most stores are not open, it’s great to start planning in advance, especially if you want to become a re-seller.

Two years ago, Sarah Gemmell started selling outgrown or unwanted clothes on Poshmark and Mercari. Once she got the hang of that, almost a year and a half ago, Gemmell then started selling thrifted vintage goods on Instagram. I got to interview with her to give our JCU readers tips on how to get the best thrifted finds. 

For thrifters, she has a few tips: 

clothes
Becca McHaffie

1. Find out stores near you have to offer, different stores have different items. You can find unique, vintage pieces at all kinds of stores; you just have to need to know where to look. 
  2. Keep your eye out for 50% off days; these can greatly impact the quantity of thrifted pieces you find. 
  3. Lastly, keep in mind the conditions of the items you are purchasing. Look for pieces in nearly perfect condition with no holes or stains.

For future re-sellers: 

A picture of clothes on racks at a clothing store
Prudence Earl

1. Use a variety of services while knowing the advantages of each. For example, Instagram has no fees for sellers. 
  2. Watching for discount days can heavily impact your profit margin, as you can find pieces for very low prices. This means that you can then re-sell at higher prices based on their retail value. 
  3. Finally, while pricing items, you need to keep in mind the cost of shipping, as that can impact the sale of a piece. 

To check out an amazing vintage thrift account, you can find her on Instagram @thriftnowthrivelater. 

Just an art history enthusiast that happens to be a writer