Thanksgiving Dinner in Your Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

I am fortunate that I only live an hour and forty five minutes from my hometown. So, it is easy for me to make the trek back and forth for holidays. Unfortunately, not everyone has that luxury! If you can’t make it home–whatever the reason–you don’t have to miss out on the Thanksgiving festivities. All you need is a microwave, some bowls, a cooking bag, and a few measuring cups!

Turkey:

I have found some recipes online from a couple of overachievers on how to microwave an entire turkey. I am not that confident in my turkey microwaving skills. So, I decided to go with a recipe that used turkey breast instead of the whole bird.

Ingredients:

• Turkey breast

• 1 stick butter

• 1 env. onion soup mix

• 1 env. Italian dry seasoning salad mix

Directions:

Melt butter and add onion soup mix and Italian dry seasoning mix. Thaw, wash and dry turkey breast. Rub butter mixture over turkey. Place in microwave plastic cooking bag. Cook 9 to 10 minutes per pound. Turn 1/2 turn after every 9 to 10 minutes. Allow to set 15 minutes before carving. Add water to drippings for optional gravy.

Stuffing:

It is very unlikely that you will be able to cook the stuffing in the bird. But, no worries! Food.com shared a recipe that is both easy and microwavable. The directions are simple–just mix and microwave!

Ingredients:

Serves 10

Directions:

1. Mix all ingredients.

2. Microwave 4-6 mins on high.

3. Serve immediately.

Mashed Potatoes:

If you’re feeding a bunch of hungry college students, it’s probably best to just purchase a few boxes of mashed potatoes. All you need to do is add water! Viola!

All the Fixings:

You don’t need to go all out for appetizers. Instead, just ask your guests if they would be willing to contribute. The usual snacks will suffice–pop, chips, and dip. If you want, you can even pick up a gallon or two of apple cider if you’re feeling festive.

Finally, nail down what you want for side dishes. Need some ideas for side dishes? Vegetables like green beans are easy to cook in the microwave, and you can stick with the tried and true easy mac.

Happy Thanksgiving!