Starting Spring Semester Off Right

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Often times, at the beginning of the semester, I find myself having a lot of motivation and excitement that quickly fades after the first few weeks. The homework, exams, and stress start piling on, and suddenly instead of making flashcards or doing my readings, I want to lie in bed and eat a tub of chocolate ice cream while binge watching Gossip Girl. To keep myself on the straight and narrow, I try to follow a few guidelines I set for myself each semester. Hopefully you can implement some of these into your own life as well.

Get organized

To lessen the stress, organization can be a great tool. Before the semester even starts, I typically order my books, get new binders and notebooks, and make some lists of groceries, things to do, etc. Once the semester starts, keep the lists going! On paper or on your phone/laptop, keep a grocery list, a to-do list, a homework list, a cleaning list, etc. Writing things down can really help you feel like you have gotten stuff off of your chest. Also, do your best to be proactive. If you have time to spare, get ahead on homework and readings. Although it seems like you could be doing something much more fun, when the time comes that the homework is due, you will thank yourself for getting it done ASAP.

Daily Habits

Having a daily routine can be really great for stress, and it can help you be more organized as well. For example, making your bed every morning, picking out your outfit each night, or just setting out things for the next day can be really beneficial. Personally, I set up my coffee every night so that in the morning I just have to push the on button for it to brew.

Working Out

Although working out seems to come in waves for people, it is important to try and keep a steady workout routine. It has so many great benefits mentally and physically. Even if you’re too tired or don’t have time for an intense, long workout, just taking a walk or doing a quick Pinterest workout can still help you to receive those benefits. Set a goal for yourself, such as working out three times a week.

Meet Your Professors

Getting to know your professors can be very helpful down the line. Professors are such a great resource for more than just helping you in their class. A lot of times they are open to writing recommendation letters or even looking at things for other classes. Besides that, they can definitely help you if you’re struggling in their class, and getting on their good side in the beginning can ensure that.

Friends

Always try to be open to making more friends. Friends are our main support system at school. Making friends in your classes can be scary, but if you don’t know anyone, my go-to is to just ask someone if anyone is sitting next to them.  Usually they’re so happy to have someone sit next to them, because they didn’t know anyone at all either. Having friends in class is also great for future homework and studying help!

Set Intentions

Like setting a workout goal, it can be helpful to set goals for almost anything else: making Dean’s List, getting all A’s and B’s, limiting social media time, eating healthier, better time management, begin paying off student loans, sleeping more, or less partying, to name a few. Really making yourself aware of your intentions and of what you want to get accomplished can help you reach those goals more mindfully.

The Future

From the beginning of the semester, all the way through, you should try and be aware of what is going on for your upcoming career. Even if you’re a freshman, it’s never too early to start thinking. A lot of times, people say you have so much time to figure out what you want to do, but if you plan on graduating on time, you can’t waste away precious time and opportunities. In addition to that, always be editing your resume. Have as many people as you can look at it and give you suggestions. A lot of schools even have programs like John Carroll’s Career Center, which can help you edit to an even further extent. Lastly, be mindful of upcoming networking, career fairs, etc. Things like that are great opportunities to look for internships, part time, or full time jobs.