This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Whether you’re going somewhere sunny and 95 for spring break or staying in Cleveland trying to look like you went to the Bahamas, you have to be conscious of skin exposure. While going tanning is convenient, it is the farthest option from safe. People argue that being tanner makes them look skinnier and feels healthier but you can look just as healthy using an alternative that won’t cause cancer, wrinkles and making you look like you’re 50 when you are 20.

1. Self-tanning Lotion

People have always strayed away from using self-tanners because they make your skin look orange, streaky and have a fake tan. As the dangers of tanning have become more and more prevalent in the media, companies have taken the initiative and improved their formulas that won’t leave you streaky. After four years of proms in April and never being allowed to go tanning, I have experimented with multiple tanning lotions and maybe not have the best of luck at times but found a few that work very well. Everyone’s favorite Jergen’s Natural Glow always works very well. They have two different kinds of formulas for lighter skin and for medium and darker skin. It takes about a week for you to be able to see what the difference looks like but it works very well. Jergen’s Natural Glow usually runs from $8 – $11 a bottle. Another less expensive bottle I used is Bath and Body Works True Blue Spa Strike Gold. When you apply it, it comes out somewhat shimmery so you can keep track of where you have already applied it. This lotion takes about an hour to dry but it in a few hours you can already start seeing the difference. With this one, you have to make sure that you exfoliate extremely well before use. Strike Gold is going to run you around $12 for a bottle. If you’re looking on the higher end, St. Tropez is my absolute favorite. It gives you a super bronze glow and doesn’t have a self-tanner smell to it like Jergen’s does. It’s around $30 a bottle but will make you look the most naturally bronzed out of the three. With all three lotions, the key is making sure that you have exfoliated well and that you have taken a normal lotion such as St. Ives and applied it to your elbows, wrists, ankles because the tanner tends to sit on those areas and makes those areas orange.

2. Airbrush/Spray Tan

Everyone will tell you to never get a spray tan because it will make you orange. Well if you’re messing around with bronzers, there is always a chance you could turn out orange — you just have to be careful. One of the best ways to get a good airbrush tan that will last about a week is finding someone who airbrushes tans frequently. They can determine what level they should spray you on and what would look good along with making sure that every spot is covered and you aren’t going to have streaks. If you decide to go to a tanning salon and get sprayed there, just be careful because it is usually a machine that sprays you, and it can’t recognize what your complexion is or where it has left blotches.

If you decide that you’re still going to go tanning, make sure that you have some sort of barrier like a sunscreen and that you are going tanning gradually over the course of a week or two weeks. Go every other day and don’t go longer than what you know your skin can take, you don’t want to burn.

Photo Credit: chickadvisor.com, found on Polyvore.

Political Science Major with a double minor in Spanish and Finance From Rochester, NY Chi Omega
Allison Gall is a senior English major at John Carroll University. She is also a member of Kappa Delta Sorority. While not doing school work, Allison is involved in several other activities, including working with her church and taking Taekwondo. Allison also loves to read and write, sing, play violin, swim, and run. She is also interested in fashion, and she is known among her friends as the go-to person for hair and makeup help.