Our Her Campus Heroes

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Our college years bring us plenty of beautiful moments, but there are also many difficult and trying times. It is during these times that we rely on our role models, our heroes, in life to get us through. Everyone has a hero who can they look to for guidance in life. In honor of the upcoming release of Interstellar, a new movie starring Matthew McConaughy as a heroic adventurer who travels through the galaxy to help all of mankind, the Her Campus staff is here to share some of our own personal heroes with you.

Brittany: My personal hero is Hermione Granger. I know that may sound silly to some of you as she is a fictional character, but her perseverance, bravery, intelligence, and astounding loyalty to her friendships has always made her my role model. And even though I’m not saving the Wizarding World from seemingly inevitable destruction, I find that I can look to her for guidance in almost any situation. She also made being the class nerd quite a cool person to be, and I have always appreciated that.

Natalie: As cheesy as it sounds, my dad is my hero. He has gone through so much in his life, and it has made him the person he is today. Despite all of the hardships he has overcome, he is the greatest person I will ever know. My favorite things about him are his patience and phenomenal sense of humor. His kindness never fails to amaze and inspire me, as does his respect for morals. He has worked so hard throughout his life without a single complaint about it. I only hope I can someday be half of the person my dad is.

Rachel: I consider my brother to be my hero. In high school, he broke his leg, but he always wanted to be in the Marines. He was told that he would never be able to do this because of his health issues. My brother never let that stop him and never stopped trying, and now he is in the Army. He never gave up no matter what, and that has inspired me in my life. And now, he has also inspired me to join the Army.

Nina: Elizabeth Bennet is one of my heroes, because for her time, she was a very forward-thinking and independent woman. She frequently violated social norms to do what she thought was right. Even though she does have her flaws, she addresses them and strives to overcome them. She follows her heart, but doesn’t let that get in the way of her mind.

Laura: My mom would definitely be my hero. She’s been through a lot in her life, but she still gets up every morning with a huge smile on her face. No matter what happens, she is never bitter, and she takes on anything that could possibly be thrown at her. She has taught me some of the weirdest life lessons, but everything she says actually always applies to life. My mom came from practically nothing and built an amazing life for herself. She’s pretty amazing. 

Interstellar comes out in IMAX on November 5th and everywhere else on November 7th. Check it out and think of the hero in your own life! 

Brittany, a Senior at JCU, has a passion for tea, books, writing, and London. As an English major, you can usually find her curled up with a good book somewhere on-campus (usually in O'Malley). She loves everything about Her Campus, and she finds it extremely exciting and rewarding to be a Campus Correspondent!