This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Well, we are all about to go home for a month, and odds are you will get bored pretty fast… or at least need to get out of the house. When that happens, consider checking out your local movie theater! Here are some movies coming soon to a theater near you:

• Coco was released on November 22nd, but that will probably still be playing.

I saw this over Thanksgiving, and wow I cried. Pixar movies have a reputation for tugging at your heartstrings, and this one certainly does the trick!! I would definitely recommend this one!

• Star Wars: The Last Jedi (December 15)

Okay okay okay, OBVIOUSLY this one is like the best on the list. It will be the smash hit of the season, and I certainly am dying with excitement. If you haven’t seen any of the Star Wars yet, then you’ve gotta get on that. Better yet, come talk to me, and I will watch them all with you and point out the best parts. 

• Ferdinand (December 15)

Okay, I LOVE John Cena. I would die for John Cena. I also LOVE Kate McKinnon. I would die for Kate McKinnon. Will I see this movie? Probably not, but it looks freaking adorable. Ferdinand the Bull is such a classic story (I had the Disney book as a kid?? Anyone??) so this does have a special place in my heart.

• Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (December 20)

Okay, so this is apparently a remake, but I haven’t seen the original one, so I don’t even know about that. I mean, I love Dwayne the Rock more than words can say, I mean he is a ray of sunshine we do not deserve. This movie seems fun.  

• The Greatest Showman (December 20)

Everyone keeps saying that this movie is going to get nominated for all the Oscars, and I’m like ….where?? This looks baaaaad okay I’m sorry but I said it this looks like a big budget spectacular but I just don’t get circuses-never been to one, never really cared for them. And I love Zac Efron and Zendaya, but in the 1800s? Ehhhhh.

• Pitch Perfect 3 (December 22)

I never saw the second one, and I did love the first one, but yep, probably not gonna watch this one either. If someone would like to let me know how the soundtrack is, though, that would be great. Anna Kendrick is perfect, but who even are these new girls?? I didn’t vote for them.

• Downsizing (December 22)

All right, so Matt Damon and associates shrink themselves down because you can basically live in a mansion dollhouse for cheap? Does seem like original content, but ummm I personally am not interested. Am I the only person that genuinely does not care about Matt Damon anymore? He has passed his prime if you ask me.

• Father Figures (December 22)

Well, if you’ve ever seen Mamma Mia! and thought that it needed 1) no songs 2) Owen Wilson 3) a Christmas theme or 4) to not pass the Bechdel test, then this movie is for you!!!  

• The Post (December 22)

Alright, THIS is the movie that is gonna win all the Oscars. We’ve got Steven Spielberg directing Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep in a movie based on the incredible true story of The Washington Post releasing government documents (or something?? The trailer sorta loses me to be honest). Anyway, the vibe I’m getting is Spotlight meets Bridge of Spies. You probably don’t need to go see this, though, since it’ll win all the Oscars whether you see it in theaters or not.

There’s more movies than this coming out, plus this does not even include January, but there is some to get you through the first week of break. Happy holidays, everyone!!!

Grace is a JCU senior, double majoring in Theology & Religious Studies and Political Science. She loves social justice, Disney, and joking about absolutely everything. Her specialty is ranking movies.