This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

March is Women’s History Month, so it is a good time to thank all the wonderful women around you and empower them to be the best they can be. Kylie Brooks, the president of Student’s Empowering Women, does just that. With Women Empowerment Week coming up March 23rd through March 26th, our Campus Celebrity for this week is Kylie Brooks!

Major: Business Management and Human Resources

Hometown: Cleveland, Ohio

Campus Involvement:

I am very involved in the Recreation Dept. where I work as a Building Supervisor, Club Sport Student Supervisor and Intramural scorekeeper. I am the President of Students Empowering Women and a member of the Take Back the Night board. I am also a Eucharistic Minister for Campus Ministry and have participated in weekly service over my four years. I recently went on an immersion trip to Nicaragua in January.

What first got you involved with Student’s Empowering Women?

My friend Brynn invited me to go with her to a meeting when the club first started. That was in the spring of our sophomore year. The club was so new then that we had to meet at the house of the president at the time.

What are some of the things Student’s Empowering Women does around campus?

We meet on a weekly  basis and discuss many issues that affect women in our world today. We hosted our event #NoFilter in the Fall which encouraged women to appreciate their natural beauty. As a philanthropy initiative, our group has made blankets to assist Labre. We are currently planning Take Back the Night Week which will take place from April 21-23. Everyone look for more information about that this week and mark your calendars now to attend our “March and Speak Out” which will take place on April 23rd!

How would you encourage other students to get involved with Student’s Empowering Women?

If you are interested in joining Students Empowering Women please email me at kbrooks15@jcu.edu so I can add you to our email list. We are always happy to accept new members and encourage them to come to our Tuesday night meetings which take place at 8pm in the Murphy room!

What are some of the events you are most looking forward to during the Women Empowering Week?

I am really excited for all the events that are taking place. It is so awesome to see all these organizations coming together with the same goal in mind, which is to empower women. It is inspiring to me, and I love to be surrounded by such empowering people.

What do you hope to accomplish next week?

I hope to raise awareness on campus about the importance of empowering women and how this benefits all people. I also want to encourage people to join all the wonderful organizations that are taking part in the Women Empowerment Week. I hope to get some new members for Students Empowering Women so that the organization can continue to grow after I graduate.

Why is it important to have an organization like this on John Carroll’s campus?

There are SO many reason why having Students Empowering Women on campus is so important. It gives women and men a chance to explore gender issues and to really have a chance to surround ourselves with people who inspire us. Every campus needs diversity organizations that work to raise awareness and challenge people to look at issues from a new perspective. The initiatives that we work for are so important. All women should be empowered to be the person they were meant to be and to feel comfortable in their own skin. SEW gives women the opportunity to do just that.

Don’t forget to stop by the various events held for Women Empowerment Week March 23rd through March 26th!

Brittany, a Senior at JCU, has a passion for tea, books, writing, and London. As an English major, you can usually find her curled up with a good book somewhere on-campus (usually in O'Malley). She loves everything about Her Campus, and she finds it extremely exciting and rewarding to be a Campus Correspondent!