Is it Winter or Spring?!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

My favorite month of the year is April, no matter what the weather looks like. I am probably partial to it because it is my birthday month, however, Spring is my favorite season in general. Why? When you wake up, you can hear birds chirping outside as the sun rises. When you walk outside, you start to see the blossoms on the trees and the annuals popping up out of the ground. It really is just a time of rebirth and new energy that makes me happy.

So…what happens when it snows in April? I have only had snow on my birthday once in twenty years, however, this year it seems like it definitely might happen considering Opening Day for the Indians was even postponed due to unexpected weather mishaps. One problem we seem to run into then is how on Earth are we supposed to dress for this weather? Last week, I had on a t-shirt dress and flip flops and today, I found it extremely difficult to wake up and dress for the Spring sunshine while considering it was 28 degrees outside. Despite desperately wanting to throw on a sweatshirt and leggings, I realized I need to learn how to dress for this weather realistically while simultaneously considering that it is no longer winter!

Here’s how:

I know that after months of cold weather, everyone is chomping at the bit to break out their cutest sandals and shortest shorts in preparation for summer that is right around the corner. With that said, the thermometer does not agree with these urges. To cope, I suggest wearing a cute pair of flats with jeans slightly rolled up with the sweater of your choice and a jacket. This is actually what I wore today because the footwear kept my toes covered while looking like April attire. 

Want to wear that favorite sundress of yours that has been collecting dust since the last concert you went to in August? Try pairing that dress with a thick, oversized sweater and tights if it is chilly outside so you can rock that floral pattern while also keeping in mind that it might snow today.

If you just want to look comfy, I think I have a solution. If you do not feel like carrying around a bulky coat as you walk around campus, put on your leggings, Nikes and favorite sweatshirt! The trick is to put one or two long-sleeve layers under that sweatshirt so you don’t get super cold without your winter coat. Another option could be wearing a vest and scarf over that sweatshirt which still wouldn’t be as much of a hassle as that big winter coat. 

Overall, I know we are all pretty anxious for consistent sunny-and-75 weather, but it is tricky to stay warm while we are still patiently waiting for those summer days. Happy Spring and stay warm if Ohio decides to grant us with about seven more inches of snow before May!