It’s a Gluten-Free Holiday!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

When my mother was diagnosed with Celiac disease (aka an autoimmune disorder where the body attacks itself, caused by gluten consumption), I was worried that the holidays would be ruined forever. My family draws heavily from their Italian roots, and food is a major part of our celebrations. Maybe it’s cruel to think of my own eating habits in the face of a life-changing diagnosis, but I couldn’t help it! What was my life without gluten?

Soon after the diagnosis of both my mother and sister, my mom declared my home a gluten-free household. In other words, we would avoid cooking with any gluten ingredients lest it contaminate or touch anything my mother or sister should eat. My life flashed before my eyes. I imagined a world where I could no longer eat pasta, breads, or baked goods. All of our holiday food traditions were ruined! What about the Italian tradition Feast of the Seven Fishes? Or our Christmas morning tradition of eating homemade cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning? Would we still be able to make and decorate Christmas cookies?

Luckily, with the recent spike in popularity of eating a gluten-free diet, my mom has been able to find recipes and ingredients to make amazing gluten-free meals. She has always been an innovative chef, so it was a fun challenge for her to make her own flours and experiment with recipes. In many cases, you can’t even tell it’s gluten-free! So, transitioning our holiday treats and traditions into equally delicious gluten-free was smooth sailing.

Despite the fact that we eat like kings at home, it can be frustrating watching my mother and sister struggle to find things they can eat at restaurants or holiday parties. Most people go out of their way to accommodate their needs. But, many people do not understand that my mother and sister can’t eat food (even if it is gluten-free) if it has even touched something contained wheat, barley, or rye. Because my mom doesn’t know if she’ll be able to eat everywhere she goes she often brings around a lunchbox filled with gluten-free snacks.

With more and more restaurants and stores starting to cater to people with dietary restrictions–medical or otherwise–it’s becoming easier to find safe foods. Still, when people invite my family over for dinner they worry about being able to make things my mother and sister can eat. But, worry no more! If you have family members or friends with Celiac Disease, just know that the diagnosis doesn’t have to ruin Christmas! You can find easy-to-make mixes at your local grocery store, or you can find a simple recipe online. Don’t worry, contrary to popular belief, not all gluten-free food tastes like cardboard. To prove it, I have included a delectable Christmas cookie recipe that’s been adapted to be gluten-free by mother. I promise, you can’t tell it’s gluten-free!

Old-Fashioned Sugar Cookies:

Originally published in the Old Fannie Farmer Cookbook

Adapted Gluten-Free by my Mother

SERVINGS: ABOUT 40 COOKIES

Ingredients:

• ½ Cup Butter, softened

• ¾ Cup Sugar

• 1 Egg

• ½ Tsp Vanilla

• 1 Tbsp Cream or Milk

• 2 Cups Gluten-Free Baking Flour Blend

• ½ Teaspoon of Xanthan Gum

• ⅛ Tsp Salt

• ¼ Tsp Baking Powder

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350. Cream butter, then gradually add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg, vanilla, and cream or milk and beat well. Mix the flour, salt, and baking powder together and then add to the butter mixture and blend well.

Roll dough out to 1/4 inch thickness dusting with flour well, and cut the dough into your desired shapes. Place approximately an inch apart.

Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Allow to cool, and decorate as desired!