Innovative Businesses to Check Out (And the Amazing Women Behind Them)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Jeanna Kadlec

Bluestockings Boutique est. April 2015 

Jeanna Kadlec is the founder of the newly opened Bluestockings Boutique, an online lingerie store. Some of you may be shaking your heads. So what? What is so innovative about a lingerie store? Well, Bluestockings Boutique has the distinction of being one of the few lingerie stores that caters to the LGBTQIA community.

Kadlec’s store strives to open up a larger conversation about the heteronormative culture surrounding the lingerie industry. Every person wears “underthings.” Bluestockings has made it their mission to combat the male/female bi-gender industry. In this vein, Bluestockings Boutique strays away from the typical gendered terms. Instead, their store is separated into two separate categories—tops and bottoms.

While browsing their webpage, what surprised me most was their use of models in every color, shape, and size. Their nude colored bras aren’t just in the typical beige. Instead, they come in a variety of different colors—like berry, cinnamon, and caramel. And their models? I don’t think a single woman looked alike!

What can you find at Bluestockings Boutique? Other than your typical lingerie lineup of beautiful “tops,” they sell chest binders, boxers, hosiery and loungewear. 

Elana Schlenker

76<100 est. April 2015

The traveling pop-up shop 76<100 was officially open for business on April 14—also known as Equal Pay Day—in Pittsburgh. It is run by independent graphic designer Elana Schlenker. Elana Schlenker is a University of Pittsburgh graduate and has a degree in both Business and Studio Arts. Although she has based her career in NYC, she has moved back to Pittsburgh to start her <100 project.

The name of the store is based off of the wage gap in Pennsylvania. In PA, women make approximately 76 cents to every man’s dollar. (Yikes!)So, in an attempt to foster dialogue about the issue Schlenker developed the business model idea “Pay what you’re paid.” So what does this mean? In short, male patrons will be charged 100% of the retail price and all women will be charged 76% of the retail price.

According to their website, the store sells ceramics, textiles, publications, art prints, and stationery—all made by women! All of the money that 76<100 makes goes directly to the creators of these products. <100 is completely non-profit and funded by grants and donations.

Schlenker expects that the next destination for her pop-up shop will be New Orleans, Louisiana, where the wage gap is approximately 66 cents for every dollar. So, hurry up! <100 is traveling to New Orleans in the fall!

Want to visit? The current address is:

4901 Penn Avenue

Pittsburgh, PA 15224

United States

Rose Byrne

The Dollhouse Collective

Rose Byrne is a famous Australian actress and producer. She is famous for her roles in Insidious, 28 Weeks Later, The X-Men series, and Bridesmaids. The launch of her newest project, The Doll House Collective was announced in a recent copy of Vogue Australia. The collective is led by Rose Byrne and four other Australian actresses/directors/producers who are dedicated to closing the gender gap in the film industry.

The Dollhouse Collective’s goal is to give women a voice in the film industry. Ideally, they want to promote change and give women a stronger hand in filmmaking. The film industry has been a boy’s club for long enough. In a world where only 10% of women were directors or producers in major Hollywood films, it is a necessity to foster the talent and creative spirit of capable women. 

The film industry is strongly influenced by the male gaze. Perhaps with the new movements in Hollywood to involve more women in the filmmaking process, we will begin to see a rise in the female gaze. Hopefully, other people will take notice of The Dollhouse Collective and expand on the idea of films by women, for women.

They are currently working on three different film projects: When all the Water, Seriously Red, and Girls in Hotels. 

Brittany, a Senior at JCU, has a passion for tea, books, writing, and London. As an English major, you can usually find her curled up with a good book somewhere on-campus (usually in O'Malley). She loves everything about Her Campus, and she finds it extremely exciting and rewarding to be a Campus Correspondent!