jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

He said, She Said: Starbucks, Dates, Black Friday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.
Starbucks cups: What’s the big deal?
She Said: Personally, I don’t think the red Starbucks holiday cup is a big deal. Ellen DeGeneres covered the recent controversy on her show, and the clip discussing the cups describes exactly how I feel about the whole thing. First, the previous cups had images of snowmen and snowflakes on them, neither of which are biblical in any sense. Second, Starbucks wants to provide an equal experience to all customers, which is why the cups are blank so that the customer can create their own holiday story. Third, the cups are still red and green, which are the colors of the season. Not only that, but if you actually walk into a Starbucks store, you will immediately experience the holiday season through Christmas blend coffee, the Christmas tree ornaments, and several other products related to the holiday season throughout the store! As a Christian myself, I am upset by the fact that the Christians who are “boycotting” the store are choosing to fight such a miniscule issue within our world. Instead of fighting to end poverty or racism or gender inequality, Christians upset by this cup are fighting Starbucks by purchasing more products in order to have workers write “Merry Christmas” as their name in order to put Christmas back on the cups (which were never on the cups to begin with)! So, instead of putting $4 or $5 into a collection basket in a church service or giving that money to organizations that support the poor, they’re spending that money to “teach Starbucks a lesson.” Overall, I think the whole controversy is a representation of what is wrong with our culture. Not only that, but I find it fascinating how people can call themselves a Christian but not fight for any meaningful issues, which is what true Christianity is all about.

He Said: For those who may not know, there has recently been an uproar in regards to Starbucks coffee cups. As usual, they switched from their typical cups to their special holiday cups. In previous years, this has been decorated in accordance with Christmas, but this year, in a show of respect for all the holidays during this time, the cups are just plain red. This has infuriated some, reignited the debate—should we be celebrating only Christmas, or all holidays? I was in Starbucks the other day, and when the man in front of me received his Oprah Chai Tea Latte™, the cashier wished him a hearty “happy holidays!” The man turned to her and said, “This is America-it’s Merry Christmas!” You’re right, genius—this is America. Where all religions and beliefs are respected, and one in which a private company has the right to show this very sensible respect for all people by wishing their customers a non-secular seasonal greeting. More power to Starbucks for taking the lead on integrity and respect for all cultures and religions. If you are thinking about following this guy’s lead and confronting an innocent barista, just shut up and enjoy your macchiato instead. 

Is it still the guy’s responsibility to pay on a date?
She Said: I believe that who pays on a date is unique to each couple. Personally, my boyfriend and I switch paying sometimes. He pays a lot of the time, but I cover the tip, or dessert, or coffee following dinner if he pays for our meals. I will occasionally pay for dinner as well. However, our situation is highly dependent on the fact that he has a full-time job and I have no job. Each couple is going to be different, and it’s a topic that should be discussed within each relationship so that it fits the needs of both individuals. There should be no influence from outside sources, including society! Do what is best for your relationship, not what your parents, grandparents, or societal gender roles tell you to do!

He Said: Absolutely. But not necessarily because of any chivalrous intention. Let’s face it, that old world thinking has got to go. Men and women are now and forever will be equals—the man should not be paying solely because society has dictated that he should to prove his masculinity and gentlemanliness. The reason the guy should be paying is for simplicity’s sake. Whereas in my Grandpa’s time, the woman was physically unable to pay due to a lack of a job and immense societal pressure to be homemaker, these days men and women are both equally capable of paying on the first date. For this reason, no predetermined bill payer is a recipe for disaster. You guys are strangers—the last thing anybody wants is for the first date to devolve into quarrelling over who is going to pay the check. Keep it simple and just assume that the first one is on the guy. But ladies, do not hesitate to assert your independence and pick up the tab for the next one. 

What are your feelings on Black Friday?
She Said: I enjoy going out shopping with my mom and sister on Black Friday mainly because I am able to spend time with them. When we go out, we usually have a few specific items that we are looking for, but we never just go out to go shopping. However, it’s a little frustrating that companies are requiring workers to come in so early now, especially on Thanksgiving Day. My mom, sister, and I try to go to stores that open on Friday instead on Thanksgiving, but that number is drastically decreasing now, so it makes picking stores a lot more difficult. However, if we can’t find what we are looking for, especially if the discount is not large enough, we enjoy people watching! Black Friday is prime season for people watching, especially in my hometown (shout out to the dirty 330). Overall, I like shopping on Black Friday and spending time with my family while doing so. Oh, and grabbing some Starbucks too!

He Said: Black Friday is absolutely incredible. The stereotype that it is mostly for women is so ridiculous. Speaking of stereotypes, Beats by Dre will be on sale at Target for only $99! Catch me at the front of the line 1AM Friday morning. Seriously, though, I can’t think of a better way to kick off the holiday season than shopping with friends and family after a Thanksgiving dinner. After all, nothing screams Christmas quite like the sound of opening cash registers and crying wallets. Sadly, Black Friday has crept into Thursday evening, on a night that is supposed to be spent with family and friends. To protest, I refuse to go until early morning the next day. Besides, it’s pretty difficult to shop when you are 9 months pregnant with a food baby. 
Allison is a junior at John Carroll University studying Psychological Science with a concentration in Child and Family Studies, as well as a few Communications classes here and there. If she is not spending time with her triangle of friends, you can find her watching Netflix, drinking coffee, napping, tending to her residents, bonding with her KayDee sisters, or swooning over dogs and babies.