A Guide to Essential Oils

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Julia here with your guide to the best campus oils! <3

What if I told you every day at college could feel like a spa day? You deserve to kick back and relax, daily!

Envision this: You are walking past a beautiful flower garden outside of a building when, BAM, a lovely lavender smell fills the air. You, my friend, are experiencing one of the many works of an essential oil.

Smells can be quite extraordinary. I am immediately overjoyed when I walk through the door and smell my mom’s cinnamon essential oil oatmeal cookies baking in the oven. Smells have the ability to trigger not only emotions, but memories as well. When I smell white fir essential oil, I think of when my family and I used to go look for Christmas trees every year. 

Essential oils are known for their therapeutic benefits. They are popularly used in a diffuser as a type of natural air freshener and even for massages and yoga practices. Certain essential oils can be used topically and some are even used for cooking. ***Make sure that before you ever use an essential oil topically or internally that you FIRST read the label to check for directions. Not all oils and brands can be used topically and internally! You want to make sure you look for essential oils that have no additives or chemicals. Make sure you speak with someone who regularly uses essential oils if you every have any questions. If you want to learn more or ask me any questions at all, my Instagram and Facebook page, @campusoils is a great resource! I got your back!!!

The possibilities of most essential oils are endless: skin care, hair care, cooking, cleaning, air freshener’s, DIY activity’s such as mud masks and soaps, and the list goes on. And the best part about them is: they are NATURAL! Essential oils are mostly steam distilled from the plant, which is a very delicate and beautiful process. The compression method is used for fruits like lemon and orange essential oils.  

Now that we covered some of the basics about essential oils, you may be wondering, where do I start? Have no fear! Your campus oils friend is here! I am here to provide you with the top six oils that I LOVE having with me around campus:

Coconut oil: This is a must-have, all-purpose oil. There are so many different kinds of coconut oil that you can find: refined, cold-pressed, liquid, just to name a few. Coconut oil is an amazing makeup remover. Once or twice a week, I also use coconut oil as a deep conditioner for my hair. This is wonderful to have in your cabinet for diluting essential oils if you apply them to the skin, which will help reduce skin sensitivities. Coconut oil is one of many CARRIER oils; used to CARRY a drop or two of oil around large areas, while reducing those sensitivities! The list can go on for good ol’ coconut oil…. Seriously. I could talk about it for hours…

Lemon: Let’s talk about lemon. Have you ever had those days when your dorm room needs some good spring-cleaning? Lemon is an amazing oil to use for a Do-It-Yourself (DIY) natural cleaner. I also love diffusing Lemon to get rid of any strange odors lurking around the corner. And let’s talk about any sticky residue that is too hard to remove from surfaces (AKA those cinderblock walls in most dorm rooms)… have no fear, lemon oil is here!

Peppermint: MY FAVE. SERIOUSLY, MY FAVE. Peppermint is a cooling oil, so I highly recommended to dilute before using a drop on the skin. You’ll feel a bit of a tingle when the oil hits your skin, and is my go-to for sore muscles. I attended homecoming this year, was feeling a bit dizzy, and was SO HOT! A swipe of diluted peppermint made me feel like there was a nice breeze rushing past the back of my neck. And did I mention that peppermint can be used as a spider repellant? 

Melaleuca (Tea Tree Oil): Many of you have probably heard of or have used melaleuca before! Otherwise known as tea tree oil, this is used in many cleaning and skin care products! I need to have this with me, especially when my skin decides to completely turn on me. Have I mentioned that tea tree oil is used for respiratory support? Win, win, and win!

Frankincense: When in doubt, frankincense it out! This is an amazing, versatile oil, and like my mom always says, “if it was good for Jesus, it’s good for me!” Frankincense is amazing for the skin, your brain, and relaxation! If I want to use an essential oil and don’t know which one to reach for, my best bet is good ol’ Frank!

Lavender: Anyone want a good night’s rest? Lavender is the best! Sorry, here I go again with the rhymes. But seriously, this is one of my favorites to use before bed on the bottoms of my feet, where your pores are the largest (quick absorption). Yes, I did say feet. Tip two: I also love putting a drop or two on a cotton ball and placing it in my pillowcase! Tip three: When you have a harsh sunburn and want to relax your skin, pull out your aloe or lavender essential oil!

QUICK TIP: When you are using essential oils and get some on your fingers, just make sure not to rub your eyes! If you do happen to accidently rub them, wipe the top of your eyelid with some of the hand-dandy coconut oil! Water and oils do not mix! 

Something incredible about essential oils is that if one doesn’t seem to give you the results you are hoping for, there are so many other oils that you may prefer that work better for YOU! I love love love these oils, and hope you do too. Thank you, nature! 

I can’t wait for you to join me on my journey with essential oils, while creating your very own. Remember, if you ever have any questions at all, make sure to check out @campusoils! I hope you enjoy your daily spa days on campus from here on out! (:

For any more essential oil information, tips, DIY ideas, etc. check out https://www.facebook.com/campusoils/?fref=ts

Until next time…