Feminism: A Brief History

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions, for safety in the streets, for child care, for social welfare, for rape crisis centres, women’s refuges, reforms in the law. If someone says, ‘Oh, I’m not a feminist’, I ask, ‘Why? What’s your problem?'”

–Dale Spencer, Man Made Language

Education is power! Before dismissing the feminist movement, educate yourself! The feminist movements in the United States have been headed by strong and powerful women who have succeeded in providing us with the fundamental rights (like voting!) that we take for granted.

We know women are victims of gender inequality, but men are also victimized by the current patriarchal system. Where women are expected to give up the possibility of having a fulfilling career to marry and have children, men are expected to devote their lives to their work. If they are not able to financially support their families, it’s a shot to their manhood. In order to better understand feminism, it is important to discuss the history of the movement.

Academics typically acknowledge three waves of feminism. First-wave feminism’s primary goal was obtaining suffrage- or the right to vote- for women. The Suffrage Movement began in 1848 at the Seneca Falls Convention with only a modest number of attendees. Despite their modest beginnings, they were still able to achieve success. However, after they obtained their goal, the ratification of the 19th Amendment on August 18, 1920, the first wave slowly fizzled out.

It wasn’t until the 1960’s that feminism once again took full force. The second-wave of feminism was arguably inspired by Betty Friedan and the publication of her bestselling book The Feminine Mystique. The Feminine Mystique challenged the prevalent cultural norms dictating that women must cater to their husband’s every need. This message seemed to resonate with many women, and during this time, the feminist movement succeeded in making great legal strides.

Although the second-wave is credited with supporting the Equal Pay Act of 1963 and various legal changes in reproductive health, the movement was eventually swept away and deemed unimportant in the face of the War in Vietnam and the Civil Rights Movement. Due to this, the second-wave of feminism also faded out, but not before it became a more global movement- including women of all races.

The third-wave of feminism began in the mid-1990s. The third-wave of feminism is most famous for embracing female sexuality, but that is not the only concern of the movement. They strive to address issues of body, gender, sexuality and heteronormativity. At the same time, they continue to fight for the same issues that the second wave held most dear- such as the wage gap.

Interestingly enough, unlike the second-wave of feminism, the third-wave of feminism is becoming less of a “girls only” movement. Men are taking a more active stance against gender inequality. Additionally, third-wave feminists are often criticized by their predecessors for what they perceive as a lack of activism. Instead, of taking to the streets feminists are more likely to write blog posts or educate others through social media.

Hopefully, with the help of the internet and social media, it will be easier to get out the message of gender without the stereotypes and biases that are usually attributed to feminists!

Brittany, a Senior at JCU, has a passion for tea, books, writing, and London. As an English major, you can usually find her curled up with a good book somewhere on-campus (usually in O'Malley). She loves everything about Her Campus, and she finds it extremely exciting and rewarding to be a Campus Correspondent!