Douglas Hinchen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Hometown: Solon, Ohio

Year at JCU: Sophomore

Major: Psychology with a minor in German

Here at John Carroll, we are used to seeing the occasional smiling face, but there is one person that stands out among the rest. Douglas Hinchen, one of John Carroll’s most energetic students, is known for the ever-present smile and greeting you with an enthusiastic “Hi!” Douglas is an openly transgender student here at JCU, which in short, means “he” and “she” do not pertain to Douglas, Douglas prefers to just be called Douglas. This week, HerCampus has chosen Douglas for “Campus Celebrity,” to discuss his reasoning for going to John Carroll, why he is so friendly, and much more.

Why did you choose JCU?

When I was 12, I had severe ADHD, which caused me to have trouble with my peers. I went to a Summer Treatment Program, where I met Bryan. He treated me like I was a normal person and helped me to come to terms with my disorder. Through that program, I learned to embrace my disorder, and I wanted to do the same for other people. At the time, the Summer Treatment program was a JCU run program, which sparked my desire to go to JCU and led me to eventually go there.

How are you always everywhere?

I am always moving from building to building because of how busy I am. I am involved with so many different programs on campus, that I have to be moving from place to place at all times. I am not a stationary person; I am always moving.

Why are you always so friendly?

Because in high school, no one was friendly to me. Through this experience, I know how it feels to be an outcast. So I am friendly to everyone I meet because I truly want to see them happy. I will go up to anyone, even if I do not know them, and give them a smile and a hello. Anyone and everyone deserves to know that someone cares about them, and I try to make sure everyone I meet knows that I care about them. If you tell me you are having a bad day, I will follow you until you tell me why you are and I will try and help you through it.

To you, what is equality?

I wish I could say that everyone in the world get equal rights, but that is not how the world we live in works. However, I believe that the closest thing to equality we can have is everyone having basic human rights. My focus is that no one should be ashamed for who they are, and they should always feel welcome. You shouldn’t have to be brave to be who you are; you should just be who you are.

What clubs/sports are you apart of at JCU?

The diving club is important to me. When I am diving I need to do the opposite of what I normally do. I usually do not focus, and I just do things. However, with diving I need to focus and mentally prepare to complete my task and get better. Another club I am apart of is that I am a Peer Health Advocate. It gives me a chance to give back and help me further with my career. My goal later is to be a sex health educator, which I can learn more ways to do so through this program.

What is your favorite thing to get at the caf?

I love when Ty makes pizza, but only Ty’s pizza. If Ty is not making pizza, I will just make myself a burger. However, besides that the caf is not my favorite place.

What is the best way to relieve stress here at JCU?

The best thing by far is to talk with someone about your problems. That is why we have our close friends. They will be there for you to help you in any way they can. If it is an issue you are not comfortable sharing with your friends, there is always the Counseling Center right next to the Hamlin dorms.

Brittany, a Senior at JCU, has a passion for tea, books, writing, and London. As an English major, you can usually find her curled up with a good book somewhere on-campus (usually in O'Malley). She loves everything about Her Campus, and she finds it extremely exciting and rewarding to be a Campus Correspondent!