Campus Celebrity: The Man Behind the Mic: Joe Ginley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

If you have ever attended a Blue Streaks sporting event, you’ve probably heard the voice of Joe Ginley announcing the game. And if you couldn’t make it to the game (or didn’t have the courage to brave the Cleveland’s inclement weather), perhaps you’ve tuned into WJCU or JCU Athletics and heard Joe’s broadcasts. It is hard not to get pumped up and clapping for the Streaks when you have such an enthusiastic announcer at the helm.

Joe is a senior Communications major at John Carroll. He is a leadership scholar and has both a Leadership and History minor. In addition to academics, Joe serves as the Sports Director at WJCU and works as a broadcaster, announcer, and writer at John Carroll’s Sports Information Department. In the past, he has held the position of Managing Editor at The Carroll news, and he is currently a staff writer for the student-run paper.

As if his positions at Carroll didn’t keep him busy enough, he is also a student writer at dawgsbynature.com-an affiliate of SB Nation. His duties at dawgsbynature include: an analysis piece, weekly check-up posts, and the occasional interview about his beloved team the Browns.

Joe’s love for JCU is apparent in the way he talks about the school. He had difficulty pinning down just one defining memory of his John Carroll experience. Instead, he explains that just seeing people he knows on campus and thinking back on the camaraderie and close friends he made in the dorms brings a smile to his face.   

Although his time at Carroll is winding down to a close, Joe isn’t going to turn his back on JCU anytime soon. He aspires to be a mentor for others, like the many he’s had at JCU, and give back to the school in any way he can. Ultimately, he hopes that one day he can make John Carroll proud.

Joe explains that leaving John Carroll will be bittersweet. At the same time, he says he can’t wait to “get out and get experience.” In the next 10-20 years, Joe dreams of being a well-known sports writer and broadcaster with a decent following. If his current work at Carroll is any indication, he should have no trouble achieving this goal!

Good luck, Joe!

Check out some of Joe’s work here:

http://www.jcunews.com/author/joe-ginley/

http://www.sbnation.com/users/Joe%20Ginley/blog