This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

This week we’re returning to my ‘books about’ series with books about outer space. We’ve learned so much about space in the last few decades alone, but perhaps the biggest thing we’ve learned is that there’s so much we don’t know. Is there extraterrestrial life? Probably somewhere, but it could be light-years away. Still, it’s exciting–and sometimes scary–to imagine what could be out there in the great unknown of our galaxy. Outer space has long been a favorite setting for science fiction novelists, and I’ve read quite a few:

1. Mirage (Mirage #1) by Somaiya Daud (4/5 stars)- This imaginative novel takes place in a galaxy far, far away, and is a bit like “Star Wars” in that it feels a bit like a fairytale in space. Features a cruel princess, body doubles, and nuanced themes about oppression and rebellion. Unique cultural world-building and high stakes made this one of my favorite space reads.

2. Illuminae (The Illuminae Files #1) by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff (4/5 stars)- This trilogy about corporate cover-ups and ordinary people stepping up in extraordinary circumstances sagged a bit in the middle for me, but finished strong. One of the most fun things about this series is the format–written in email memos, video footage analysis, featuring drawings and words spiraling across the pages. Quite a bit gory at times, but I enjoyed nonetheless.

3. The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking #1) (3/5 stars)- I think I would probably rate this trilogy even higher if I re-read it again, but it features sympathetic characters in a fascinating premise–all men can hear the thoughts of all others. The protagonists are a bit younger, and there’s definitely a scene with a dog that tugs at your heart, but an unusual and intriguing read overall.

4. These Broken Stars (Starbound #1) by Amie Kaufman (3/5 stars)- This was the first in a trilogy for which I have not read the other books because they feature different characters. A little heavier on the romance with some good thriller/suspense build-up (though I remember actually being a little disappointed with the climax of that suspense). BUT if you’re looking for angsty romance in space with threatening alien life, this one’s for you.

5. The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave #1) by Rick Yancey (3/5 stars)- One of the better-known books on this list probably because it has been made into a movie which I have not seen. Not as romance-heavy as I was expecting, but romance is a pretty significant factor. This one is about alien invaders rather than humans in space, very apocalyptic and grim. Not bad, but not good enough for me to have picked up the second book yet.  

6. The Martian by Andy Weir (2/5 stars)- Another big-name here, this novel was independently published then took off with a movie. But honestly, I was a lot less impressed than many readers. I found The Martian to be a bit on the technical side, despite its valiant efforts to break down the science. I see the appeal in the ‘stories of humanity surviving against all odds’ trope, but honestly, I remember finding the story a bit boring because of the time necessarily spent on the technicalities of how our protagonist was going to survive after being abandoned on Mars. Just didn’t do it for me.

Courtesy: JSTOR Daily

Mallory Fitzpatrick is a senior at John Carroll University, who loves reading, writing, and travel.