Being Cute and Comfy for Class: The Struggle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Chances are you probably don’t wake up at 8 am and look forward to putting on stiff jeans and a full face of makeup. I know some days even leggings aren’t comfy enough for me, but I don’t want to look messy or sloppy either. Here are a few tips and tricks for those times!

1. Everyone should own a t-shirt dress. It truly is the perfect last-minute outfit. No need to figure out what matches what, just throw on your t-shirt dress and maybe a cardigan if your classrooms are a little cold. Slide on basically any shoe you own and maybe an accessory if you find the motivation and you’re all set. T-shirt dresses are great because they’re casual enough to put your hair in a messy bun or ponytail, or you can dress it up more if you have time to do your hair!

2. If loving yoga pants is wrong – I don’t want to be right. Active wear is perfect because no one will know if you just got in some cardio or just woke up. Pair some yogas with a tank top, plain tee, or favorite sweatshirt and you’ll definitely be comfy all day.

3. Rompers! If it’s fairly warm, a romper is so easy to throw on! Like a t-shirt dress, you don’t have to worry about matching anything. Some rompers even have belts or crisscrossed back straps to make it look even cuter! Again, most shoes will work with this – flip-flops and converse look good with anything anyway.

4. So maybe it’s cold where you are – no problem. Another go-to is leggings and an oversized sweater. Personally, since I’m always freezing cold, I wear a scarf as well (blanket scarves are the best!!) and a pair of warm socks and boots! If you want to dress it up a little more, you could always find a pair of stretchy jeans.

5. For a different kind of look, try a skirt or dress with knee high socks. I love this look because it’s soooo comfy, but looks like you put in a lot of effort. It’s also easy to reuse because you can pair it with different tops (if you do a skirt) – a plain tee, a sweater, a tank top and cardigan, a graphic tee, etc.

6. Cardigans deserve a number to themselves because they’re so perfect. Not to mention, the best kind of cardigan is an oversized one. I recommend getting neutrals like white, black, beige, gray, or navy blue. That way, you can easily match it with all of these different outfits!

7. Remember that sweatshirt your parents got you at orientation with your school name on it? You should probably just plan on wearing that once a week.

8. So sometimes sweats are necessary. I know the feeling when you’ve had six mental breakdowns the night before, you’re trying to do your homework that’s due in 10 minutes, and also still need breakfast. There are some sweatpants that are acceptable for class! Since you probably already realized I’m really basic, I’m going to recommend Victoria’s Secret sweats. I know they’re sort of overpriced, but once you get a pair you won’t regret it. Target is also a great place to look. If you’re worried about looking sloppy, try cropped sweatpants for a neater look with some tennis shoes or converse and a cute top!

9. Definitely invest in some bralettes. Sometimes you want to dress up a little, but a real bra is just too much.

10. Lastly, flannels. Button them up for a shirt, button them down with a tank top underneath for a jacket, or tie them around your waist. Jeans, leggings, skirts – you name it. They’re so easy to throw on and definitely a must if you’re looking for a cute, but comfy outfit.