7 Useful Yet Forgotten College Items for Your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Shopping for college was stressful at times, but mostly fun when I had the chance to pick out new bedding and decorations. I thought I was prepared, until I moved in and realized I had forgotten several very useful items:

1. Towel dress- This is honestly one of my favorite and most used items in college due to having communal bathrooms. I searched all around for a swim cover up and finally found a large selection of towel dresses at Target! They even had hair wraps! With these two practical items, you don’t have to worry about your towels falling off during your retreat from the hall to the bathroom!

2. Toothbrush holder- I almost forgot a toothbrush holder, aka one of the most important items to help keep your toothbrush clean and make it last longer. I am the queen of changing toothbrushes, and I would nearly change them every week when I did not have a toothbrush holder on hand (always switching can become pretty expensive…). They sell a ton of these at Target!

3. Book light- Especially if you have a roommate, this is an amazing item to keep around the dorm room and also in your travel bag when you are going back and forth from college to home. When my roommate is asleep and I do not want to turn on the overhead light to bother her, I always use this to get ready for bed and to study before I go to sleep.

4. Umbrella- I think it is safe to say that a lot of us college students forget that even though we are leaving home, it can still rain at any time. I was always so bad about remembering to carry an umbrella in high school, but in college, when you are walking all around campus for classes, activities, and meetings, an umbrella is a pretty practical item to keep on hand.

5. Back pillow- I was debating for a while if I would actually use one of these pillows. Needless to say, I am so glad I purchased one before all of the colors were picked over! I prop it next to the wall or at the end of my bed so I can comfortably lay back and do homework or watch Netflix for hours!  

6. Vacuum cleaner- I am still in desperate need of a vacuum cleaner but lately have had a decent amount of homework that is doing a great job of keeping me back from a useful Target trip. Especially if you have a rug in your dorm room, this is a great thing to bring along with you on move-in day! There is nothing better than a deep cleaning day for your dorm room.

7. Fan- Thank goodness my roommate thought to bring this… It did not even cross my mind while packing! My dorm room has no air conditioning, and the fan really helped me deal with the transition from summer to fall.

I really wish I had thought to buy these items earlier! Everyone told me that I would overpack for move-in day, but then realize that I still forgot the most important items. What items are most useful to you in your dorm?