7 Things to Bring to Your Next Library Study-Binge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

It is almost that dreaded time of the year again, finals week. Days are filled with studying, writing papers, and finishing assignments last minute, so it can be hard to stay organized. The majority of college students find themselves spending countless amounts of hours in the library once finals time rolls around. To get the most out of your library extravaganza, it’s important to be prepared for everything. So I thought I would help your out a little bit by sharing my packing list for long days at the library!

1. An organized list of what you need to do.

It’s a must to know exactly what you need to get done. A clear list helps you focus and accomplish tasks in manageable chunks. Whether it be using a planner or just writing a to-do list on a scrap piece of paper before you leave, having your work organized will help you be more productive and get things done faster. I personally could not live without my planner. At the beginning of the semester I go through all of my syllabi and write down all assignments and their due dates. Then every week I write down all my work, highlighting in pink if it is urgent/ due the next day or needs to be worked on that day, and highlighting in yellow if I have some leeway on when I need to start it.

1. Healthy snacks

It is true when people say “you are what you eat.” If you eat unhealthily, you will feel tired, gross, and unmotivated leading you to not be as productive with your studying. Not only will you feel better eating well, but you will also perform better. So put down that bag of chips, try one of these healthy snacks, and get ready to ace your finals! Some of my personal favorites are frozen grapes, veggies & hummus, rice cake & nut butter, and string cheese. Find a healthy snack that works for you and bring a few to make sure you’re not running low on energy.  

1. Coffee or tea

I am a pretty anxious person, especially when it comes to finals, so I like to stick to tea or else I would be jumping off the library walls. Not only is tea a little bit healthier, but you can also bring as many tea bags to the library as you want. AKA unlimited amount of tea! Try to limit yourself to only one or two cups of coffee, and then hydrate with water for the rest of the time!

1. Comfy clothes

When you’re spending the whole day sitting in the library, you’re going to want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible. Since the library temperature seems to be ever changing, I dress in layers. I usually stick with leggings, a t-shirt, and a light sweater or cardigan to go on top. Unfortunately, those super cute new jeans you got last will not seem as super cute after sitting in them for 6 hours.

1. Study tools

I usually bring lots and lots and lots of colored pens and highlighters. When I color code things I tend to remember them more easily because I am able to file everything into small categories by color. Flashcards are a must for me, and I stick with the old fashion route of writing them by hand. When I write things, they stick with me more, those fancy apps like Quizlet are nice, but it depends on the person! I color code my flashcards by whether or not they are from the book or the lecture and by chapter. So when it comes time for the exam I can remember that hippocampus is used for memory, emotion, and the autonomic nervous system because it was written in orange with the rest of the chapter 4 book material.

1. Something to do/use during a break (not technology!!)

Everyone needs a break from studying every once and awhile, but it’s important to stay away from technology during our breaks! I know that whenever I use my break to scroll through Twitter or Instagram I end up getting sidetracked, and before I know it, it’s been two hours since I last studied and I am watching my fifth Tasty video on Facebook. So now I bring a little mini adult coloring book I got from the dollar store. Working on something creative will help your brain stay in focus mode, and will help you relax.

1. A positive attitude!

Although no one enjoys studying, it is something that all college students have to deal with. Of course you will get nervous, but try to get excited about what you’re learning. Hopefully you are studying something you find interesting and are passionate about, so being excited should be the easy part. Convince yourself that you will do great on your exams and you will be more motivated to study. When you tell yourself that you will be successful, chances are that you will be successful. I mean look at these Shutterstock models, they look like there is no place they’d rather be than the library! Okay, you don’t need to be as excited as them, but you get the point.

Dog enthusiast and a big believer that you should "be the change that you wish to see in the world."