6 Ways to Survive the Ride Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

We all know the feeling; a long car ride awaits you, but you can see the light at the end of the tunnel in the form of a night in your own bed and a shower without flip flops. Or better yet, taste the deliciousness of a home-cooked meal.

I feel as though I have perfected the long car ride and how to avoid boredom. As an out-of-state student, I travel twelve hours between the car ride home and back to JCU. Throughout my years, I have made the trek out to JCU at least a dozen times. Here are some tips that I have used to get over the boredom that can torment you while you travel home.

1. Talk to your mom/dad/whoever is driving you; chances are they have some hilarious stories about their time in college. This is when my mom and I bond the most; chances are you are going to learn a lot about your family. Usually, this will involve some story about “the good ole days,” but it will always end in laughter.

2. Tweet what you see, you will learn a lot about America and its people as you travel from state to state. The best tweets come from funny, real-life situations. You will see some of the craziest things on the road. Such as; a man laying on a lawn chair in the back of a pick-up truck. Also, try to spot the wackiest license plates. Trust me, you’ll see some hilarious ones. 

3. Read those books and magazines that you have always wanted to read. While driving home, I read the entire Harry Potter series, and re-read some American classics like The Great Gatsby and A Separate Peace. Though it may give some a headache, reading in the car is the perfect way to pass the time. Just make sure the radio is turned down. You don’t want any of those awful commercials ruining your concentration.

4. Explain modern music to your mother because she’s normally complaining about it for the entire ride. Obviously, Drake’s “Started From the Bottom” has some serious poetic meaning. She just doesn’t understand. It’s a millennial problem.

5. Listen to a new type of music. Never have I ever listened to the Irish Hit Parade and country music more than when I drive home. So, switch it up from your normal radio station, and try out a new type of music for your next ride home! (Or, it’s always fun to listen to songs you can sing-a-long to at the top of your lungs.) 

6. Eat. What better to do with your spare time in the car? Make your parents stop at a new rest stop, or new exit to try the local cuisine, or Panera Express. (Though, I wouldn’t suggest the latter.) Or if you want something quick, a bag of chips or candy is always perfect for a car ride! (Maybe, if your parents are nice enough, they will provide baked goods.)

With that, I send you off with lots of luck! I hope that you use some of my tips to survive car ride home. Have a great Thanksgiving break!

21 year old college student trying to make it through school one fabulous and stylish outfit at a time. Currently majoring in Political Science and communications with aspirations of Law school after graduation.