6 De-Stressing Tips from an Anxious Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

For whatever reason, it seems like everyone is crazy stressed out right now. It can be hard to take time out of your day to unwind and relax. I know. I have certain things I love to do that help me relax and unwind. I’m here today to share my secrets with you so that you can take a break and feel a little less overwhelmed during this trying time.

1. Reading

I know that for many people it can seem daunting to find time to read for pleasure when we have all this reading to do for school, but believe me, it’s worth it. When you read a book, especially fiction, you are transported to another world and for a little while you can forget about your own problems. There are so many kinds of books, and there is something for everyone. Right now, I’m alternating between my childhood favorite, “A Series of Unfortunate Events” and Andy Cohen’s autobiography “The Andy Cohen Diaries: A Deep Look at a Shallow Year.” They are two totally different books, but they suit different moods. I’ve found the time to read every night like I did when I was a kid by no longer keeping my phone by my bed. It’s bad for your sleep, and it forces me to read my book while I’m lying in bed rather than scrolling through Facebook or Twitter. It’s more relaxing and instead of keeping me awake, it gets me ready for bed.

2. Breathing Exercises

Doing breathing exercises everyday can do wonders for you. Basically, you deep breathe and focus on nothing but your breathing so that you can let go of those stressful thoughts. It can be really hard to do it on your own so I usually use guided meditations that remind me to stay focus. It also helps because guided meditations have a set length so you can schedule them into your day. My suggestion is to set an alarm to remind yourself to do them—at least for the first week—because it is so easy to get overwhelmed and blow them off or just forget, but trust me, you will be more productive if you take the time and relax rather than pushing through stressed beyond belief and distracted by the fact you’re overwhelmed. Here are my favorite guided meditations: http://www.studentaffairs.pitt.edu/ccaudiodownloads. Start with the first one with the anchors and move onto the others. If you don’t like these, there are tons of others on YouTube that you can search for yourself.

3. Exercising

I know, I know, we’ve all heard this one. This is actually the hardest for me to do, but it’s good for your body and mind. The days I feel the worst are the ones where I sit around and do nothing. Sometimes, it can be good but sometimes it’s counterproductive. You don’t have to have an intense workout either. Take ten minutes and do some Yoga poses or a quick ab workout or go to the gym and bike for ten minutes. I’ve even set my phone to keep track of my steps. The days I get to 10,000 I feel better and even more accomplished. Even just walking around campus can be nice. It gets you out of the dorms and our campus is beautiful even in the winter. A late evening stroll bundled up in the snow can do a surprising amount for your stress levels.

4. Listen to Music

A lot of us listen to music while we’re doing homework, which is great, but listening to music without the added stress can be really relaxing. Anyone who’s a fan of Grey’s Anatomy knows that Meredith and Christina’s go-to way of relaxing was the 30 second dance party. They’re not crazy. Freshman year my best friend and I were obsessed with Grey’s and started implementing the 30 second dance party. It worked. It’s relaxing and it will make you smile. Pick your favorite jam, and get dancing. You’ll feel a million times better afterwards.

5. Coloring

This one is my absolute favorite and my biggest go-to. You may have outgrown the crayons and coloring book when you were in middle school, but it’s time to pick it back up. It’s relaxing for so many reasons. First, it’s nostalgic. It reminds you of simpler days when you weren’t worried about exams and papers. Second, you become completely engrossed in a focused task that isn’t homework a.k.a. not a source of stress. Head over to Target and for a fairly inexpensive price, you can pick up the medium of your choice (markers, crayons, colored pencils) and a coloring book. My personal favorites are twistable crayons and colored pencils and the giant coloring books with cartoon characters but really, it’s up to you. You can also search online for adult coloring pages and get some really cool patterns.

6. Journaling

Last but certainly not least, journaling. Journaling helps you reflect on your day or your life or whatever. It’s another thing you can do to unwind right before you go to bed. Putting your problems down on paper can really help you de-stress. You have a couple options for journaling, you can just freely write about your day or you can do a guided version. There are tons of journal prompts on Pinterest. This one is a favorite of mine that I’ve been working through for a while: http://www.andsoshesays.com/2012/02/saturday-thinking.html. It really gets you thinking about things. Another way to do it is by doing a gratitude journal. Basically, you write three things every day that you were grateful for or that were positive about the day. If you do this consistently for long enough, it can change your outlook on life and give you a more positive attitude.

Now it’s your job to go out and de-stress! Good luck and here’s to less stressful times ahead!

Junior Integrated Marketing Communications major and Psychology minor. Fan of Netflix and her smartphone.
Brittany, a Senior at JCU, has a passion for tea, books, writing, and London. As an English major, you can usually find her curled up with a good book somewhere on-campus (usually in O'Malley). She loves everything about Her Campus, and she finds it extremely exciting and rewarding to be a Campus Correspondent!